8 Quotes for National Coming Out Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Happy National Coming Out Day! Whether you’re out, in the closet, or somewhere in between, there’s a quote in here for you!

“The single best thing about coming out of the closet is that nobody can insult you by telling you what you’ve just told them.” –  Rachel Maddow

“Race, gender, religion, sexuality, we are all people and that’s it. We’re all people. We’re all equal.” – Connor Franta

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash

“Having to hide something like that just ruined me. It really, really killed me. I really honestly think that anybody who is openly gay and visible is powerful. It doesn’t matter what you do, you are impacting people.” – Portia De Rossi

“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection” – Sharon Salzberg

“As a sexually fluid deaf man, I know that embracing all of our identities is the way to thrive and overcome limitations and prejudices. There is no doubt in my mind that human diversity is what colors our world.” – Nyle DiMarco

“Love yourself, whatever makes you different, and use it to make you stand out. Mine is my voice and the fact that I’m gay.” – Ross Matthews

“Like being a woman, like being a racial, religious, tribal, or ethnic minority, being LGBT does not make you less human. And that is why gay rights are human rights, and human rights are gay rights.” – Hillary Clinton

“Nobody is wired wrong because there is no wrong and right in the way we are.” – Hannah Hart

Remember, you are not obligated to come out today, tomorrow, or even next year. Come out when you are ready, and the LGBTQ+ community will welcome you with open arms.

Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Christopher Newport University.
You can categorize Royall as either Leslie Knope when she has her color-coded binders: or Hyde whenever Jackie comes into a room before they start dating: There is no in-between.  Royall recently graduated with her B.A. in Sociology & Anthropology from CNU and now studies Government & International Relations at Regent University. She also serves as the Victim Advocate and Community Outreach Coordinator for Isle of Wight Co., VA in Victim Witness Services. Within Her Campus, she served as a Chapter Writer for CNU for one year, a Campus Expansion Assistant for a semester, Campus Correspondent for two years, and is in the middle of her second semester as a Chapter Advisor.  You can find her in the corner of a subway-tiled coffee shop somewhere, investigating identity experiences of members of Black Greek Letter Organizations at Primarily White Institutions as well as public perceptions of migrants and refugees. Or fantasizing about ziplining arcoss the French Alps.