This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Spring break… we all know about that week in March when college students get precious time off from classes to spend as they please. As the stereotype goes, crazed spring breakers binge drink and storm the nearest beach. This year, if it seems like everyone is going there except you, here are ways you can spend your week off that don’t involve being home all day or hopping on the bandwagon to the beach.

1. Road trip: One week is plenty of time to drive from coast to coast. The more people you pack in the car, the less you pitch in for gas! It is almost certainly going to be cheaper than going on a trip where you’ll need to pay airfare. Get out there and see some of the beautiful country we live in! If you’re feeling extra adventurous, you could even try camping instead of paying for hotels. Just make sure to check the forecast first.

2. Actually catch up on homework/Netflix: Although not the most exciting option, staying home can be practical. Getting ahead in your classes will make your life a breeze when school starts back up and everyone else is cramming in homework and projects at the last minute. Being productive and using your time wisely is an important life skill that will help you in the long run when there are no more spring breaks.

3. Volunteer: Use this week to give back. During the semester it can be hard to find the time to volunteer. Whether you need required service hours or simply want to do something meaningful, organizations like CNU REACH plan volunteer trips every year that allow you to get some traveling in as well!

4. Find a summer job or internship: Spring break can be one of the highlights of your spring semester, but the highlight of your summer will be landing that killer job or internship to help pad your resume. Use this time to get ahead of the eight ball – and the slew of other applicants who will be scrambling to make their summer plan when they get back. Or, if you already have a job lined up, pick up some extra shifts this week and save for a rainy day. You never know when a couple extra bucks might come in handy.

5. Visit family: I don’t mean just going to visit grandma back home. Family means having a free place to stay wherever they live. This could be a cheap alternative if you want to explore a new place on a budget. That uncle that lives in San Fran? Yeah, maybe it’s time to pay him a visit.

6. Concerts: Summer break is often for working; winter break is for family – spring break should be about you! A perfect “stay-cation” could involve finding artists coming to your area. Spend the week following your favorite bands or checking out the local tourist spots you usually overlook.

7. Cruise: Going to spring break hot spots can result in vast expenditures of money – something many students don’t have a wealth of. Combining travel, food/drink, and entertainment costs by taking a cruise can sometimes be a more economic option. Some lines even offer group discounts!

8. Travel abroad: You only get four spring breaks in college, which is a perfect excuse to splurge if you have some money saved up. Grab a friend for a five day excursion through the Alps. Campus-based travel agencies like StudentUniverse.com specialize in finding cheap travel rates for students. Spend your break exploring a foreign and exotic place!

Whatever you do, make the most of your break. Just like college, the time always goes by far too fast!

Lee Martin is a 20-year-old junior at Christopher Newport University majoring in Communication Studies with minors in Leadership and Women's & Gender Studies. She co-founded CNU's chapter of Her Campus and currently serves as Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in Chief, as well as a Chapter Advisor to five other campuses. As a journalist, she has written for The Oyster Pointer, The Winchester Star, and worked with National Student Leadership Conference's Journalism, Film & Media Arts program. When not writing, you can find her binging on chocolate and coffee while laughing at Parks and Rec or The Office. If you must read her silly musings, follow her on Twitter at @loveleeforlife