6 Reasons It’s Important to Not Be A Helicopter Parent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

I am so beyond grateful for my parents and the lessons they have taught me throughout my life. I’m independent, and I’m able to think freely as my own person. I don’t need the constant assistance or attention in order to get things completed.

I remember in fourth grade I started my A to Z Virginia project. I had to use things relating to Virginia that started with each letter of the alphabet. I can remember my mom trying to help and do the pages for me. I had learned to want my independence and I got frustrated with her. I insisted on not wanting her help and I told her: “I can do this, Mom. I don’t need your help anymore”. I didn’t realize until after she left that I had a lot of work to do and it was hard to work on this project with all the information I needed to finish. In the end, I pushed through and received an A for my project. I felt completely confident that MY work was successful. The definition of a helicopter parent is “a parent who pays extremely close attention to a child’s or children’s experiences and problems, particularly at educational institutions.” The name “helicopter parent” refers to constant hovering and intervening.

Here’s a few reasons why I am thankful my parents were not helicopter parents.

1. I was able to feel confident and successful in my work.

2. I learned how to study based on my learning style.

3. I’ve learned to be independent and make my own decisions.

4. I’ve created my own work ethic and have earned my own money without their influence.

5. I have a sense of freedom due to the non-constant hovering.

6. I feel successful in making my own choices, and I feel confident about myself.

P.S. Thank you Mom and Dad. I love you both!