5 Ways to Survive a Snow Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Snow Days are both a blessing and a curse. If you’re anything like me, you hate going out into the snow. You get super wet, snow and ice get into everything, and you can’t remember where that dog decided to pee because of the extra inches of snow that have piled on in the ten minutes you’ve been outside. Also, it’s cold. So. Cold.

So, what do you do when you don’t want to go outside? Well, here are five things you can do while you’re cooped up inside.

Binge watch/catch up on reruns

I mean, this one is obvious. What better way to kill 8 hours besides binge watching Grey’s or starting something awesome? Personally, I recommend the Medicis: Masters of Florence, a Netflix original. It’s about the aftermath of the death of the original head of the historic Medici family and the struggles they face. There’s murder, politics, romance, and multiple hot guys. What more could you want? Oh, and the guy who plays Robb Stark from Game of Thrones plays the main character, Casimo de Medici.

Rearrange your furniture/redecorate your room

Sometimes change is a good thing! I like to do DIY things, like canvas painting or hanging up lights. If you’re by yourself, rearranging heavy furniture (like in the living room) can be a bit much, but even moving the coffee table decorations around or adding a tassel banner onto the focal wall will make you feel productive and refreshed. And then, when the weather’s nice again, you can invite all your friends to see your newly redecorated space!

Play board games

If any of your roommates are there, or your friends are right around the corner, invite everyone over and play some classic board games! Try to pick things that take longer, like Monopoly or Clue, so that you don’t really run out of things to do! Snow days aren’t like hurricane days, the snow piles up and doesn’t really drain away because after it melts during the day it usually refreezes overnight and you’re stuck in the same place again with no games to play.

Try out some new recipes

Have a Pinterest? If so, I’m betting you have a food board. Snow days are the best for vegging out on junk food. Since it’s cold, make some hot chocolate and try out that chocolate chip cookie recipe.. Because what better food to dip into your hot chocolate while you enjoy watching The Office for the tenth time?

Read!

This has to be my ultimate favorite. I’m so busy during the school/work week, I never really get time to read for fun anymore. And, let’s be honest, most college students are often fed up with reading because they have to do it so much during the semester anyways. During snow days, especially if they’re during a break, everything pretty much stops. You can take that time to pull out all the new books you bought when Barnes & Noble was doing their great sale, or you can even reread your favorite editions (mine personally is Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince).

Making snowmen and braving the cold isn’t for everyone. But, try out these activities and you just might find yourself wanting more snow days!

You can categorize Royall as either Leslie Knope when she has her color-coded binders: or Hyde whenever Jackie comes into a room before they start dating: There is no in-between.  Royall recently graduated with her B.A. in Sociology & Anthropology from CNU and now studies Government & International Relations at Regent University. She also serves as the Victim Advocate and Community Outreach Coordinator for Isle of Wight Co., VA in Victim Witness Services. Within Her Campus, she served as a Chapter Writer for CNU for one year, a Campus Expansion Assistant for a semester, Campus Correspondent for two years, and is in the middle of her second semester as a Chapter Advisor.  You can find her in the corner of a subway-tiled coffee shop somewhere, investigating identity experiences of members of Black Greek Letter Organizations at Primarily White Institutions as well as public perceptions of migrants and refugees. Or fantasizing about ziplining arcoss the French Alps.