This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

If you’re like me, you usually go barefaced. That’s not to say that you don’t like or appreciate make-up…You just don’t get it. My freshman and sophomore roommates were skin care and make-up wizards. They looked beautiful before they’d put on makeup and Instagram model worthy afterwards. I would stand ogling as the took a mess of powders and creams, expertly applying them in a matter of minutes. Since then, I’ve tried to get more into make-up, just for myself, as it looks like something fun to do. I’ve come to learn a few necessary products and tools necessary for make-up application. If you’re a complete beginner like me, maybe you can learn something from my experience.

1. Make-up wipes are a must!

Even if you are successful in placing your make-up on your face, it might not stay as glamorous throughout the day. Makeup wipes, especially the travel-kind, are handy to have for any touch ups. 

2. You can overfill your eyebrows.

Full straight eyebrows are extremely popular now. Be conservative with how much eyebrow product you apply. Even if it doesn’t look like a lot, it’s a lot. Besides, you can always apply more later. 

3. Buy make-up in small quantities.

Make-up is notorious for becoming outrageously expensive. Buy in small amounts or drug store brands to save money. You could also get a makeup subscription box like birchbox to get a set of regular samples.

4. One make-up style doesn’t suit everyone.

I’ve had my make-up done for fun by friends and for a fashion show. Sometimes the cute face and heavy lip make-up doesn’t look good on your face. It doesn’t mean that make-up doesn’t look good on you. It just means that look doesn’t suit you. You just need to find time to experiment with various looks. Maybe you look good with a nude lip? Or barely there make-up?

5. If your skin looks clear, don’t feel obligated to use a foundation or BB cream.

I have relatively clear skin and placing skinproduct on top of it actually makes my skin worse. If you feel confident in the way your skin looks, you don’t need skin products. 

Maybe these tips aren’t perfect for you, but it never hurts to try! 

VXS Gymwear brand representative. (Discount Code: STEPH10VXS) Student. Weight lifter. Runner. Always moving. Personal trainer in training. Vegan. Instagram: running_is_happiness Snapchat:stuffystephano