This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Hello everyone I hope you had a wonderful Valentines Day and a better weekend. I recently celebrated my 20th birthday (February 13th to be exact). It’s kind of weird to think I am 20, not a teenager but pretty exciting to me. So todays article is about the 20 things I learned in my now 20 years of living. Enjoy.

Everything is not black and white

I’ve learned that things are mostly gray. A beautiful color and place to be if you ask me. I look at life not just as one or the other because that’s not realistic (to me at least). I look at both sides of things and tend to combine them, making it that little gray area. 

Not being ok is ok

Sometimes your just not ok and tend to take some time. Today I believe we are more comfortable showing that we are not ok and it honestly seems like a wonderful thing. Life is not sunshine and flowers, storms come up and we have to get past it.

Life is what you make of it

I think this is the one people have been told for years now but it is whole heartedly true.

Everything doesn’t happen in a second, things take time

I am the type of person ready to take action for things and I expect things to go like a domino effect. That doesn’t happen though I’m afraid.

Self-love is hard

It is possible though, I see so many amazing people loving their mind, body, and soul a beautiful thing that I hope one day everyone can experience. Personally I am not there yet but I’m working on it. Sometimes I take a step forward but then take a step back. I’ll get there though.

Do what you love not what others thing you should

One of the most important lessons one can learn

Failure is something we have to get used to

It honestly sucks and something I don’t like having to get used to. Failure can mean different things to different people. Failure to me means getting a C in a class. It’s a feeling I know will come again in different terms.

Break out of your comfort zone

normally the outcome is good and you wonder why you never did this in the first place

Be Kind

a staple for life

Educate Yourself

-Francis Bacon said that knowledge is power and that is a statement I firmly believe in. You should keep teaching/education yourself whether it’s in language, cultures, cooking, art, life, knowing more about yourself, and then school in general.

Friends Change

A hard lesson to learn. I had a friend that was my best friend from the time we were like 5 up until high school. I just recently let go of that friendship and it’s hard to think that what once was is not anymore. The truth of the matter is that we both are starting our lives and we were not going to part of each others journey. It’s hard but something I’m at peace with now. 

Good things come to those who wait

Take Care of yourself

Things don’t always go your way

This one is tough. I am a planner not a %100 everything has to be perfect planner but more like a general I can adapt planner. But I can’t stand when plans change last minute. If it’s a few days before sure I’ll be annoyed but not as mad as if plans change the day of or like a couple hours before. 

Organize

since being in college I have become way more organized with not only my room and dealing with small spaces but my life in general. I am at the point in my life where picking at a planner makes me happy. I’m ok with it. 

Living a healthy lifestyle is hard

You can do it though, just take one step at a time

Keep any form of a budget

Learn about adulting

credit, taxes, insurance

Feeling lost is ok

this goes hand and hand with me being a planner but I don’t know what my next few steps are in life. I don’t know where to begin but thats ok.

Never give up

Until next time.

Hi everyone my name is Nicole and I am a senior at CNU. I am majoring in psychology and am currently applying to graduate school to become a licensed counselor. I currently enjoy watching American Horror Story with my roommates and reading.