This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Study abroad: it’s something on the list of things nearly every freshman says they want to do while they’re in college. Less than 10% of American students enrolled in an institution of higher education study abroad, so here’s a list of reasons why you should help increase that percentage.

1.You get to travel.

This is the first thing on most people’s minds when they think of study abroad – an opportunity to travel. Whenever anyone is asked what they would do with unlimited time and money, ‘travel’ is commonly the answer. You won’t get a chance to do this once you’re out of college, so think about what a great experience it would be to study abroad and go for it!

2. You can take classes that aren’t offered at your school.

Whether studying through CNU or an external program, both options frequently offer classes you can’t take on campus. If you are a psych major and are interested in the relationship between alcohol and culture, you’ll probably have to study abroad to get a class on it. If you’re an anthropology major and want to have classes at older historical sites, you’ll have to venture outside of Newport News.

3. You meet a lot of interesting people.

From your classmates to teachers, rando-s on the street, bartenders, and local kids you meet at parties, there is never a shortage of new people to get to know. Better yet, if you’re crossing paths with them in a foreign country, they frequently have pretty unique backgrounds.

4. You immerse yourself in a new culture.

You can read all you want about a country or city, but you’ll never really get the full experience without visiting and participating in the culture.

5. It’s a great way to pick up a new language.

Staying in a place where everyone speaks a different language can be a challenge, so it should motivate you to start learning before you leave! Once you’re there you can practice what you know, and even if you didn’t learn before you left your home country, you can still pick up some basic phrases to get you started.

6. You can travel while you travel!

The most popular place for students to study abroad is Europe, which has great options for travel between countries. Even if you study abroad in Central America, you can visit neighboring countries on weekend trips.

7. It can count for Honors Inquiry credits.

First off, Honors and PLP students normally receive a study abroad stipend, so that’s just another incentive to go. Honors students are required to take two inquiry classes, which can be satisfied by study abroad, research, or internships. Why not put study abroad towards it?

8. The Food.

What can I say about food that hasn’t already been said? It’s the best thing ever, and trying new, authentic food is a huge perk of staying in a different country.

9. It looks good on your resume.

When employers see that you’ve studied abroad, you’re marketing yourself as experienced and worldly, which can always be an asset to them.

10. Beer.

Beer.

11. You’ll learn a lot.

From how to say ‘cheers’ in another language to what you learn in school, you’ll constantly be absorbing new information and finding out more about yourself. It is expensive, but if you try hard enough, there are plenty of ways you can make your adventures financially manageable.  CNU’s study abroad deadlines can be found on their website. Don’t procrastinate and check it out – what are you waiting for?! As with anything, you get out of it what you put into it; make the experience worth it!

In a nutshell: ~I'm an art history major and dual minor in Medieval Renaissance Studies & Communication, and I'm graduating in 2016 (one year left)! -I'm an active member of CNU's Green Team, Rock Climbing Club, and WCNU Radio. ~I never wear shoes on campus if it's warm outside. -I sing and play guitar, bass, piano, ukulele, and melodica. ~Interests: Music, art, the earth, dancing, raves, yoga, food, adventure, and sleep.