This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

With another couple months of classes ahead of us, some of us might be starting to feel run down or overwhelmed. But the girls of Her Campus CNU are here to share the songs that keep them going and make them feel like the strong and empowered women they are!

It’s my turn now

Just like many of us, Chaeli has found representation and inspiration in our childhood Disney programs. “I’ve really been loving ‘It’s My Turn Now’ sung by Keke Palmer from the Jump In Soundtrack on Disney. Growing up, Keke was one of the first Black girls I saw on television and she has always inspired me. The premise of the movie was to do your own thing and take chances despite stereotypes or criticisms. This song gives me nostalgia but it is also pretty motivational and that is why this is my pick.”

I do

Shaunny knows all the best girl boss anthems. “It wasn’t easy to pick just one girl boss anthem because there are so many empowering songs by women in the industry. Although I am a Megan thee Stallion stan, I’ve decided to switch it up. With that being said, the girl boss anthem that makes me feel like That Girl is ‘I Do’ by Cardi B featuring SZA. This song makes me feel like no one or nothing can get in the way of me achieving my goals and happiness in life. I had this song on repeat when it came out in 2018. Whenever I listened to this song in the morning while getting ready to go to school, I felt motivated and ready to take on the world.”

Maneater

Short and sweet, Ella knows exactly what she wants in her anthem. “My girl boss anthem would have to be ‘Maneater’ by Nelly Furtado. It’s just a song that makes a girl feel so confident. The song is perfect to dance to like no one is watching or to put on while you get crap done.”

Brynne is on the same wavelength as Ella when it comes to a song that makes her feel like a girl boss. “My ultimate girl boss anthem is ‘Maneater’ by Nelly Furtado. I can remember hearing the song for the first time in my older sister’s car and thinking it was the coolest song I’d ever heard. Nelly’s lyrics are empowering and the song’s beat is super danceable. ‘Maneater’ was my fifth most listened-to song last year because of how strong it makes me feel! The song makes me feel proud, independent, and strong. I have no shame in rolling the windows down, turning the music up, and feeling the words to my girl boss anthem. I hope you have a song that makes you feel like a girl boss!”

Shut Down

Brooke has found her empowerment in Kpop culture. “‘Shut Down’ by BLACKPINK. Kpop represent! This new pop song on the charts is the perfect representation of a confident girl anthem. Singing and rap from a 4-woman girl-band, these girls exude utter elegance and sass as they dominate the world with their influence. Their girlboss lyrics instantly rub off on you, making you feel like the baddest queen to ever grace the Earth. Turn on this tune in the early morning when you are getting dressed to kickstart your bold mood. ‘Praying for my downfall, many have tried, baby.'”

i am woman

Tiffany suggests living for yourself, and ‘I AM WOMAN’ embodies that. “‘I AM WOMAN’ by Emmy Meli currently has my heart. Whenever I’m feeling a little down, I’ll blast IAW and once the lyrics ‘I live by my own design…Only love can get inside me, I move in my own timing’ I remember that the only one who can truly define and live life is myself, and to not get anything negative to ruin my mood.”

Mother’s Daughter

Nora has found power in being a girlboss.”‘Mother’s Daughter’ is definitely a girlboss anthem for me. It takes words such as ‘freak’ and ‘witch’ that are commonly used to degrade women and frames them as empowering terms, something to be proud of. The lyrics encourage me to embrace femininity as a powerful thing and be grateful for the women that came before me, hence the title ‘Mother’s Daughter.’ Most of all, I feel that it gives me permission to be bold and unforgiving in who I am.”

9 to 5

Becca knows that with girlboss power comes hard work. “‘9 to 5’ by Dolly Parton is amazing. It might not exactly be a girl boss ‘anthem’ but it an amazing example of social commentary for women! It’s very empowering knowing that other women struggle as well and how much of a community the working woman has. It really reminds me of how the women in my life worked so hard and gained so little, that it makes me want to work hard and make sure that what they worked for isn’t something I throw away.”

Rhiana, Megan and Kehlani

Alauni has multiples songs from multiple artists to keep us motivated. “My girlboss mornings start with some Megan Thee Stallion: Savage & Tina Snow are awesome hits to get you motivated! My afternoons are usually Rihanna time: Diamonds & her ANTI album will have you ready to be the boss you’re meant to be. By the evening, even as I’m winding down for the night, I usually have Kehlani in my ears: her whole SweetSexySavage album is truly a girlboss masterpiece.”

W.I.T.C.H.

For Ana, the lyrics and the beat matter. “My girl boss anthem at the moment is ‘W.I.T.C.H’ by Devon Cole. This song never fails to make me feel happy and confident. Not only does it have a really catchy and upbeat tune, but I find the lyrics to be very motivational. I feel very independent and like I can take on the world when I listen to this song. Additionally, the song’s title being an acronym for its main message is very clever and fun. Whenever I hear this song, my mind goes to the music video and the joy and femininity that it displays, and it always puts me in a good mood.”

SCars to your beautiful

Allison knows exactly what she needed to hear. “The first song I think of is ‘Scars to Your Beautiful’ by Alessia Cara. It came out in 2015 when I was in middle school and I think the lyrics were exactly what 13-year-old me needed to hear. It’s not a particularly upbeat song, but it calls out societal expectations for women and encourages girls to be themselves no matter what. It’s really stuck with me over the years.”

She Wolf

Sierra is a big fan of Y2K vibes, music being no exception; “‘She Wolf’ is, in my opinion, the epitome of the early 2000’s sexy maneater subgenre that female artists took by the horns. I love blasting this in the car and just embracing my femininity and the insane power that comes along with it. Absolutely a top-10 song for me.”

Allison is a Junior at Christopher Newport University, studying Psychology and Leadership Studies. She enjoys reading, writing poetry, and listening to Alt Rock music. Find her on insta @allibryan
Marvel. Hot Sauce. Club Sports. Chaeli is a first-gen college kid looking to find her voice on campus. She is a double major in Criminology and Anthropology in the Class of '25 at Christopher Newport University. She is hoping to explore more of the criminal justice field in law school or become an then eventually become an anthropologist full time.
21 yr old Virgo writer at Christopher Newport University. Big feminist. Coffee ice cream enthusiast. Communication Major.
Hi! My name is Rebecca, I'm a history major at CNU, and I love baking, writing, and fashion!
Nora (she/her) is a junior attending Christopher Newport University. She's majoring in psychology and plans to become an elementary teacher after college. Nora enjoys social media, but when she's not researching trends to incorporate into her HC chapter's Instagram (definitely not just scrolling endlessly) she loves reading, cooking, and attempting to crochet.
Tiffany's a senior studying psychology with a double minor. On campus, she's a part of Student Honor Council and the Student Sustainability Commission. In her free time, she's usually trying new food places with friends, cooking, or hitting the gym! You can check her out on Instagram @tiffy_ni
Brynne is a current Freshman at Christopher Newport University. She enjoys trips to Barnes & Noble and is totally open to debate who the superior member of One Direction is!
CNU Freshman Class of 2026 Major: Cellular, Molecular, & Physiological Biology Minor: Leadership PLP & MAPS Loves writing, traveling, and being a goofball 🫶🏾
Sierra is a 2023 alumna and former president of the Her Campus at Christopher Newport University chapter. She primarily covers topics surrounding mental health and personal growth, sometimes dabbling in the analysis of cultural trends and fashion, as well. Sierra received a B.A. in Psychology with a minor in Childhood Studies, and is currently working towards completing her Master’s in Speech-Language Pathology. In addition to writing for Her Campus, her work has also been featured in The Cupola, CNU’s undergraduate research journal. In her free time, Sierra loves thrift shopping, going on Target runs, and caring for her many plants.