10 Things You Should Never Change For Your Significant Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

1. The way you dress. If they’re trying to cover you up or critique you, it’s time to walk away.

2. Your friend group. They may not love who your friends are, but they still need to be respectful and courteous.

3. Your taste in music/movies/books. They don’t have to like all the same things you do, but that doesn’t mean they get the final say in what you want to watch, listen to, or read.

4. Your personality. Maybe they think you’re too loud or they judge you for the jokes you find funny. Maybe you’re better off without them.

5. Your career goals. If you want to be an accountant, awesome. If you want to be a stay-at-home mom, cool. If you want to be a surgeon, great. If they don’t think that’s suitable, they’re not a good fit for you.

6. Your life plans. Some people want ten kids, some people want to travel the world, and some people want both or neither. Find someone who has the same basic goals for his or her life. It’ll save you both from heartache in the long run.

7. The way you do your makeup. You might like to go “au naturel” or you may enjoy testing your eyeliner skills. As long as you’re happy with how your makeup looks (if you wear it), then yours is the only opinion that matters.

8. How you eat. Someone who tries to control your diet = someone you don’t need around.

9. Your relationships with the people who are important to you. Maybe you call your mom every day at 5:00 or maybe you eat lunch every Wednesday with your best friend. Someone who can’t understand this or thinks you should change your schedule constantly to accommodate them is way too controlling. 

10. Your happiness. The bottom line is this: if someone consistently brings you down, tries to make you into something you’re not, or just makes you plain unhappy, drop them. Now. And don’t look back. A healthy relationship should lift you higher, not force you to be someone else.

“A healthy relationship will never require you to sacrifice your friends, your dreams, or your dignity.” – Mandy Hale

Lee Martin is a 20-year-old junior at Christopher Newport University majoring in Communication Studies with minors in Leadership and Women's & Gender Studies. She co-founded CNU's chapter of Her Campus and currently serves as Co-Campus Correspondent/Editor-in Chief, as well as a Chapter Advisor to five other campuses. As a journalist, she has written for The Oyster Pointer, The Winchester Star, and worked with National Student Leadership Conference's Journalism, Film & Media Arts program. When not writing, you can find her binging on chocolate and coffee while laughing at Parks and Rec or The Office. If you must read her silly musings, follow her on Twitter at @loveleeforlife