10 Songs that Will Make You Rethink Musical Theater

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Musical theater has come into mainstream music recently, but we’ll try to limit our obsession with Hamilton. There are plenty of other songs to justify you listening to this seldom appreciated genre of music. In no particular order, here are ten amazing musical theater songs to introduce you to the genre!

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash

1. “What You Own” – Rent

This song is edgy and has a distinct, “Take the society” rock and roll vibe.

2. “Defying Gravity” – Wicked

A classic. This song makes you want to stand up for what you believe in.

3. “Alexander Hamilton” – Hamilton

The integration of rap and hip-hop into musical theater was certainly unexpected, but more than welcome.

4. “Opening Up” – Waitress

This folksy sounding tune comes straight from singer/songwriter Sara Bareilles.

5. “One Day More” – Les Miserables

A classic musical and song. Extra points if you try to sing all of the parts at the same time.

6. “La Vie Boheme” – Rent

It’s another ensemble piece! I happily sang this before I knew what some of the one-liners truly meant (sorry Mom).

7. “Prologue” – Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812

This song has bagpipes in it — bagpipes, everyone. Your toe will tap and you might have a sudden desire to overthrow the bourgeois.

8. “Once Upon a December” – Anastasia

This haunting ballad is from the recently adapted animated movie. I used to think that maybe I, too, was a lost princess and would dance around in my room.

9. “96,000” – In the Heights

Lin-Manuel Miranda’s first major musical introduced him as a master wordsmith, as he honored his Latin heritage.

10. “Dead Girl Walking” – Heathers

This song is a true win for YOLO. Veronica owns the stage and is in complete control of everything she sees. 

Give these songs a whirl and find out if you might be a secret musical theater junkie!

Hi everybody my name is Maddie I'm an English major at CNU! I love reading, writing, and petting dogs.