10 Books to Read Before You Graduate: Banned & Challenged Books Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

There’s nothing like a well-written book to stir up some controversy. From classics like To Kill A Mockingbird to quirkier titles like Blankets, books have been under attack since their inception. Most times, books are challenged and banned because they are supposedly aimed at an unsuitable age group. Other times, dangerous governmental and religious institutions (think: Nazis and the KKK) ban certain books that go against their teachings. Whatever the reason, the fact still remains that new and old books are always being challenged every year.

Personally, I believe it’s incredibly important to read banned and challenged books. If something can stir up so much controversy, hatred, and fear in someone, then it’s worth understanding why. More often than not, challenged books contain important messages about religion, politics, racism, and sexual orientation. They broaden our horizons and expand our understanding of taboo topics. They teach us about the importance of diversity and inclusion. Banned and challenged books should be read and celebrated even more simply because they are banned and challenged. So, with that said, I’d like to suggest the top ten challenged books every college student should read before they graduate:

10. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (Goodreads: 3.80)

Summary: The novel follows sixteen-year-old Holden Caulfield as he aimlessly wanders the streets of New York City, teetering on the verge of adulthood. Lyrical, humorous, and beautiful, J.D. Salinger has created a contemporary classic.

Challenged For: offensive language, sexual content, and unsuitable for age group

9. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (Goodreads: 3.86)

Summary: Sharp-witted George and unintelligent, brawny Lennie work on a California ranch until Lennie’s own strength gets him into tremendous trouble. American master-author John Steinbeck has written a poetic novella about friendship.

Challenged For: offensive language, racism, and violence

8. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Goodreads: 3.87)

Summary: Mentally disabled Christopher John Francis Boone investigates the murder of his neighbor’s dog, and what he finds out about his family along the way will change his life forever. Mark Haddon has peopled his novel with amazing characters and twisting plot turns sure to make every reader engaged.

Challenged For: offensive language, atheism, and unsuitable for age group

7. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (Goodreads: 3.97)

Summary: When high-schooler Hannah Baker commits suicide, she leaves behind a set of thirteen tapes for thirteen different people explaining the reasons for her suicide. Jay Asher has made a surprisingly dark and important YA novel that is important for every teenager to read.

Challenged For: depiction of drugs, alcohol and smoking, sexual content, suicide, and unsuitable for age group

6. Fun Home by Alison Bechdel (Goodreads: 4.08)

Summary: A graphic autobiography, Fun Home details Alison Bechdel’s troubled relationship with her family and her struggles understanding her sexual orientation. Bechdel marries her knack for illustration with her creative writing skills in this graphic memoir.

Challenged For: violence and unsuitable graphic images

5. The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Goodreads: 4.19)

Summary: A young, poor black girl named Celie is repeatedly raped by her so-called father, is torn away from her two children, and is miles apart from her sister Nettie. Just when all seems lost, Celie meets Shug Avery, who shows her what it’s like to live life. Alice Walker’s novel deals with racism, intraracism, family, friendship, and heartbreak. 

4. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Goodreads: 4.20)

Summary: The Perks of Being a Wallflower follows Charlie’s journey through high school as an outcast, giving every young reader who feels ignored or misunderstood some small hope that they, too, will make it through. Chbosky’s novella is the perfect coming-of-age tale for today’s youth.

Challenged For: depiction of drugs, alcohol and smoking, homosexuality, offensive language, sexual content, and unsuitable for age group

3. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Goodreads: 4.24)

Summary: A graphic memoir following Marjane Satrapi’s life growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution, Persepolis is beautifully illustrated and hauntingly powerful. Satrapi defamiliarizes the Islamic Revolution to ensure each and every reader understands the events from a different point of view.

Challenged For: gambling, offensive language, and political viewpoint

2. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling (Goodreads: 4.46)

Summary: Together with friends Hermione and Ron, young wizard Harry Potter battles the greatest magical villain of all time–Voldemort. A seven-book series, J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter will awaken the child in every reader’s heart.

Challenged For: occult, Satanism, violence, and religious viewpoint

1. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (Goodreads: 4.55)

Summary: When sixteen-year-old Starr Carter witnesses the murder of her childhood friend, Khalil, at the hands of a police officer, her entire world changes forever. A tale cautioning the dangers of police brutality, racism, ignorance, and political divide, The Hate U Give is perhaps the most important novel to be written within the past ten years.

Challenged For: depiction of drug use, offensive language, and being pervasively vulgar

I firmly believe that each and every one of these books offers hope and resistance to the corruption and flaws in today’s society. They shed light on taboo topics, enliven controversial discussion, and uncover deep societal issues. Even if you don’t read these ten challenged books, I suggest you take a look at others that have been banned and challenged. You never know, your entire worldview could be changed after just one chapter.

Adelaide is a senior at CNU pursuing a BA in English w/ an emphasis in writing. After graduation, she plans to become an Editorial Assistant in Manhattan. In her free time, Adelaide loves reading books, playing with her two wonderful cats, and spending time with her grandpa.