You Miss Your Mom and That’s Alright!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

For the Lorelai and Rory Gilmores of the world, college is really hard because it puts a barrier between the mother-daughter relationship. Distance. You can admit it. It is really weird not seeing your mom everyday and being able to have the time to sit down and have a random conversation with her. And sometimes, you just really need your mom.

Everyday something happens that I wish I could tell my mom about, but with the loads of homework, classes, and maintenance of a social life, it is really hard to fit my mom into the schedule. I am lucky because my mom works right across the street from campus, but I really feel sympathetic for all of the girls who do not get to see their mom as often as I get to see mine. I am lucky enough to see my mom once a week when she brings me my weekly homemade food package, but that does not mean that I do not miss my mom. My mom is my best friend, and I miss things as simple as watching T.V. with her.

For the first few weeks of college, freshman girls call or facetime their parents everyday, but as the semester drags on, those calls become less and less frequent. This is usually around the time of midterms when we need our moms the most because our stress levels escalade through the roof. As a result, we watch Gilmore Girls trying to vicariously live through Rory and Lorelai’s relationship.

It’s okay to admit that we need our moms sometimes and there is nothing wrong with that, especially on the days when we are on the verge of tears from sleep deprivation or an exam that went bad. The strange thing is, they need us too. A mother-daughter bond is unlike any other, so it’s okay if you find yourself wishing you could hug your mom. We all do.

Lauren Kelly is a freshman at Carnegie Mellon University with the plan of studying creative and professional writing. In tenth grade, Lauren published her first novel through the Young Writer's Program in her creative writing class. As a senior in high school, Lauren was a staff writer on her school's newspaper.