samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Winter Break Blues: How to Cope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

About a week ago, you were relaxing at home, doing nothing but sleeping, eating, and watching Netflix in paradise. You had no tests to study for, no homework due at midnight, no cleaning to do, and nothing else to worry about. You were floating on Cloud Nine, and had no intentions of leaving anytime soon.

But suddenly, it hits you. Hard.

By it, I mean the end of winter break. Suddenly, you’re transported from Cloud Nine to the real world again, and it’s a rude awakening. You find yourself surrounded with responsibilities and just thinking about it causes you agony. It doesn’t just hurt you. It cuts deep.

But fear not! There are ways you can cope with the winter break blues–here are some ideas to get you started!

1. Think About the Positives

As much as it may be hard to do, there are ~some~ positives to coming back. You get to see your college friends again and you’re on your own schedule. Not to mention going to Razzy’s sounds fantastic right now.

2. Go Shopping

As a self-diagnosed shopaholic, going back to school after the winter holidays also means something else–the best sales! As stores try and make room for spring clothing, this means that all winter clothes are going on sale. In other words, if you’ve been eyeing that jacket all winter long, now’s the time to go get it! (Another plus: Pennsylvania has no sales tax on clothing, which is pretty awesome).

3. Do Something!

Yes, I know what you’re thinking. You’re already stressed out about future assignments, so why bother starting something? Truth is, getting involved in something else can take your mind off of stressing about school. Whether it’s something as simple as baking a new sweet, doing a DIY project, attending exercise classes, or joining something new, it’s a good release to do something outside of academics.

4. If All Else Fails, Start a Countdown

Well, if none of these worked for you and you can’t think of anything else to get you out of your slump, just know that there’s only about 4 months until summer (and only 3 from Carnival).

Emma Shi is a freshman at Carnegie Mellon University majoring in Decision Science (so she can learn how to make a decision, hopefully) and a self-diagnosed shopaholic. Along with contributing to Her Campus, she is also on the varsity swim team and in Tartan Athelete Fellowship. Her passions include all things pink, French fries, cake, skiing, New York City, and the clearance rack. She has secret ambitions of becoming an extreme couponer or the next Lauren Conrad. Unfortunately, she doesn't have an Instagram or Twitter account, but you will most likely find her on campus keeping it classy (aka probably being awkward). 
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.