This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

I’ve been pretty excited to watch Beauty and the Beast, and I just had time this weekend to watch it. Even before the movie came out, people had a lot of mixed emotions about it. Many people loved that it was supposed to be so similar to the original, whereas others thought that because it wasn’t adding anything to the story, it was kind of pointless.

Personally, I didn’t know how to feel about it. Like the first group, I liked that the storyline didn’t change and that it essentially was just a newer version of the original movie I love. But the thing is, the movie doesn’t really add anything: it’s just a copy. Where Maleficent brought a whole new story and the live action Jungle Book felt like an enhanced, realistic experience, I didn’t really understand what would be different between the two versions of Beauty and the Beast.

Nevertheless, I caved and watched it today. To be honest, I still have mixed feelings about it. It was beautifully made, had great cinematic effects and the whole vibe was just what I wanted. It filled some of the plot holes that I’ve always wondered about, and overall, I liked it. But again, it didn’t bring anything new to the table, save for a few scenes. The movie has been very popular, and Disney is planning many other live action remakes and twists on our favorite stories. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little excited for some of them, but I wonder when it will start to seem overdone.