Trending Now: Fall Favorites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Like most of you, as the weather gets colder, I’m hesitant to ditch my shorts and mini skirts for heavy coats and sweaters. But as the summer days fade away, the start of September not only means the start of classes but also something more exciting–fall fashion! With the highly-anticipated Mercedes-Benz New York Fashion Week just coming to a close, it’s time to welcome new trends into our wardrobes. Here are some of my favorites for the upcoming fall season:

1. Favorite Hair: Deep Side Part

Looking to change up your look but don’t want to commit to a new cut or color? Try the side part–it instantly changes up your look without the expenses of a hair salon. Take a fine-tooth comb and find the line where you want your part to fall. If you’re looking for a dramatic part, find the highest point in your eyebrow and part at that line.

2. Favorite Makeup: Berry Lips

Looking to vamp up your look? Try berry lips! Not only does this trend remind me of cranberries and apple-picking, it’s also been a huge trend this year. However, if you’re new to this trend, don’t just swipe a tube of any cranberry shade. If you have fair skin, try a sheer berry tint so it doesn’t overwhelm your skin tone. If you have medium skin, try a cranberry tint to bring out your glow. If you have deep skin, make sure to get one that doesn’t blend in with your skin (I would suggest a deep wine color with red undertones or try darker berry shades if you want to add more drama). For a splurge, I love Dolce&Gabbana Classic Cream Lipstick in Amethyst ($30).

3. Favorite Polish: Deep Red

Yes, I’ll admit it–I can’t get enough of the deep red colors this fall! Simply put, red never goes out of style. My favorites include Essie Nail Color in Bordeaux ($8.50) or O.P.I. Classic Shades Nail Lacquer in Malaga Wine ($9.50).

4. Favorite Look: Urban Explorer

While you don’t have to copy the looks above, shades of black and gray add edge to your everyday look. Whether you’re trekking Pittsburgh or just on your way to class, incorporating leather motorcycle jackets, biker boots, and statement coats are just a few ways to get this sleek, modern look. And of course, don’t forget to take some attitude with you!

What are your favorite trends from NYC Fashion Week 2014? Let me know in the comments below!

Emma Shi is a freshman at Carnegie Mellon University majoring in Decision Science (so she can learn how to make a decision, hopefully) and a self-diagnosed shopaholic. Along with contributing to Her Campus, she is also on the varsity swim team and in Tartan Athelete Fellowship. Her passions include all things pink, French fries, cake, skiing, New York City, and the clearance rack. She has secret ambitions of becoming an extreme couponer or the next Lauren Conrad. Unfortunately, she doesn't have an Instagram or Twitter account, but you will most likely find her on campus keeping it classy (aka probably being awkward). 
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.