Top Winter Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

It’s almost winter. I know it’s pretty tempting to just throw on sweatpants and an old sweatshirt, but with such cute winter looks this season,  you’ll suddenly be invigorated to dress up. Bring it on Pittsburgh… 

5. Sheer Clothing 

The Trend: Sheer clothing is effortless, placed precisely to flow beautifully.

How To Wear It:  Don’t bare everything with sheer, but instead accentuate a great feature. Use sheer clothing to show off your best body part – amazing legs or toned abs. In winter, sheer clothing should be used as a layering technique to add to your outfit. 

4. Plunging Necklines 

The Trend: This is a large V-neck that is not meant for tight clothing, but loosely fit clothing, again going for an effortless look.

How To Wear It: Bra or no bra? Not wearing a bra means no lines or creasing. If you do wear a bra, make sure it’s one that you want to show off. Balance off the amount of skin you show on top with a more modest bottom that does not reveal as much of your figure. 

3. Choker Necklaces

The Trend: This look is inspired from ancient cultures and provides easy, defined pieces that keep it simple.

How To Wear It: Pair cold metal pieces with furs or knits for a diverse look. Look for necklaces that are thick and bold.

2. Bright Colors

The Trend: This is inspired by the 1960’s obsession with bright color blocks and patterns.

How To Wear It: Pair one statement piece with colors that are less bold, like neutral tones.  

1.  Fur Clothing

The Trend: Fur exudes glamor and luxury, and so it has become a popular trend, faux or not.

How To Wear It: Pair a fur coat with a beautiful dress or a pair of strong, cropped pants. If you are not comfortable wearing fur because of its controversial nature, don’t feel you have to. 

Soniya Shah is an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon University studying technical writing and pre-med.
Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.