‘Tis the Season for Weight Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

If you’ve ever felt sluggish – or stepped on the scale – after a big holiday meal, then you know that overindulging on food doesn’t make the season any more special.  But still, it can sometimes be so hard to pass up all those holiday goodies.  You’ve been living alone at school for over three months now, surviving on leftover pizza, canned fruit, and whatever else you can scrounge up to eat.  Then suddenly you go home for winter break and wondrously delicious home-cooked meals abound.  Before you know it you’re gorging on the grub and your midsection starts expanding.

But you don’t have to completely avoid the pie and stuffing to look and feel better.  The solution is to enjoy your favorite holiday foods in moderation.  Smart dietary choices – and some exercise every day – can give you the energy and stamina you need to carry you through the holidays and into a healthy new year without a bigger waistline. Here are a few tips:

• Before you go to a party, eat a healthful snack.  This can help take the edge off your hunger and reinforce your willpower so you won’t overeat.
  • If you’re at a buffet, opt for a smaller plate and keep portion sizes reasonable.
  • Alternate high-calorie drinks (like hot chocolate, eggnog, wine, and Ovaltine) with glasses of water to help fill your stomach and stay hydrated.
  • After eating, focus on pushing away from the table and engaging in other activities such as conversation and games.  Encourage the tradition of taking a walk after a holiday meal.

Holiday parties, rich desserts and heaping buffet tables can seriously undermine your willpower to shed extra pounds.  In fact, most Americans gain a couple pounds during the holidays – and don’t lose them after the season passes.  Over the years, these pounds can add up.  A good weight goal for the holiday season:  Stay the same weight you were before the festivities began.  Although it’s not a great time to try to lose weight, you don’t want to gain weight either.

Photo source: http://health.ninemsn.com

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.