Technology Sheds Light On Rjukan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

While listening to NPR, I heard the story of an inspiring little town and wanted to share that story with you.

Previously veiled in darkness for six months out of every year, a small town in Norway called Rjukan is now harnessing the power of computer-controlled mirrors to reflect sunlight into their town square. The mirrors move as the sun moves in order to direct the most sunshine into the town. The idea to set mirrors up in this way was conceived one hundred years ago, but the technology necessary for it’s creation was not available until more recently. Until now, the townspeople have been traveling to the top of the mountain in gondolas to bask in the light during the long winter months. Now they gather together in the town square, taking turns enjoying the light.

I was reminded of a few lessons by the people of Rjukan:

1. Sunlight brings people together.
  2. Technology is being used creatively to better lives.
  3. Pittsburgh is not that dark. Or that rainy. Or that cold.

As I feel the cold Pittsburgh winter arriving, I begin to miss eating summer produce and the time when I did not have to layer my clothes. I especially miss spending time on the Cut. I feel the most connected to the Carnegie Mellon community when it is warm outside. Everyone leaves the dorms, neglecting studying (only a little!), to enjoy the few days of perfect weather we are given each year. I love walking through campus and seeing people tightrope walking between trees, playing Frisbee and creating outdoor art exhibits.

With everyone outside, enjoying the weather, I always remember the reason I decided to choose to study at Carnegie Mellon. I love seeing the inner workings of the culture of innovation. When the sun is shining and everyone brings their work outside with them, I see students doing their part to solve any number of problems, on a large and small scale. I see that innovation in Rjukan. In fact, in Rjukan, their innovative ideas came far before the technology their ideas required. Perhaps some day I will hear of the Carnegie Mellon student who figured out how to bring yearlong sunshine to Pittsburgh. I look forward to that day!

That being said, hearing that for over a century a village has gone without sunlight for half of every year, I feel spoiled that I complain about the fact that it rains in Pittsburgh (and that sometimes the clouds block the sunlight). If an entire community is able to live in darkness for six months, with only a few gondola rides to the top of a mountain, I should be able to live without complaining in Pittsburgh.

I love the story of Rjukan and hope that you are able to appreciate the optimism and creativity found in this little mountain town as much as I do. Hello November!

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.