This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

There are multiple forms of strength: physical, emotional, mental. People have different definitions of strength, but people have the same misconceptions about strength.

We each have a unique story, some more tragic than others. However, some of us let all the hurt we’ve felt define our lives. The most unfortunate and yet most beautiful thing about life is that there is always going to be an ugly, brutal, and scarring side to it. That being said, true strength isn’t measured by whether or not we emerged from our messes unscathed; it is measured by how we react to the messes and how we heal our scars.

Ironically, becoming a stronger person starts with being vulnerable. Sometimes crying is portrayed as a form weakness. That’s not always accurate. With every breakdown, we tear down walls so we can refresh and rebuild ourselves. There is no way of knowing you’re a stronger person unless you know what it’s like to be exposed and open to the hurt thrown your way.

Being strong is also not necessarily having guarded gates or constantly calculating people’s actions to protect yourself. While it’s good to be aware of possible negativity that could be avoided, being too cautious creates loneliness and doesn’t open the windows for some light to shine in. Even though it’s not beneficial to never learn from your mistakes and just let bad things keep occurring to you, it’s actually good to always stay optimistic and have at least some faith in others. People can surprise you. It lets you have the opportunity to enjoy the beauties in life, even if there is a slight risk. And if something terrible comes from it and shatters you, you know how to rebound.

With each wound will come a new experience that teaches you how to rise above it. Reality is that there will always be days where you feel buried under your pain and that there’s nothing left for you. But, we are all barely a quarter into our lives! There is so much time out there for us to discover what we are doing here. This is your life! Be strong! Stand up and don’t let what others have done ruin it for you. What is done is done. Use it as a steppingstone to a higher level, not as a crutch or reason to do things that are detrimental to you in the long run. People can hurt you, but you hurt yourself the most if you lose hope in yourself and in repairing yourself.

I'm currently a junior studying Business Administration with an additional major in Decision Science. Two places I call home are New Jersey and Taiwan. On campus, I'm involved with Dancers' Symposium, CMBA, UMO, and am a sister of Kappa Kappa Gamma. Some of my hobbies include writing, snowboarding, art, dance music, traveling, and running. My guilty pleasures are playing with cosmetics, shoe shopping, and Gossip Girl. You can always spot me on campus in heels (as if I were still in New York City) and holding a dirty chai latte!
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.