This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

I’ve wanted to do a blog all about mascara for a while now, so here it is.  Big, bold lashes can take any look from drab to fab.  Mascara makes your eyes look more awake and more noticeable, but it can be tricky if you don’t know what you’re doing.  I have received compliments on my eyelashes from women at a ritzy country club (best compliment of my life, by the way).  I’m not claiming to be an expert, but I’ll try my best.  Anyway, here are my 5 steps to longer, fuller eyelashes:

1. Choose your mascara

The first step to applying mascara is figuring out which one to buy.  There are literally thousands of choices out there, and all the buzzwords can get confusing.  Lengthening, volumizing, and curling are some of the more common claims.  The most important things to remember are that more expensive doesn’t always mean better, and you can layer formulas to get the desired effect.  Sure, some higher end mascaras are great (I love Lancome Hypnose Drama), but Maybelline also has some amazing formulas for a lot cheaper, and a lot of celebrities swear by them.  Try a bunch of different ones until you find one you like.  As far as layering, try volumizing mascara with a curling or lengthening one, and you will be wondering why you never tried it before.  One last thing, buy the blackest black mascara available.  I don’t even know why those other shades exist (really, what is up with that?).

2. Waterproof Mascara: Why you should use it
My biggest secret?  I layer regular mascara under waterproof mascara.  The waterproof formula makes that length and volume last all day long, and it also adds some extra length.  Waterproof mascara seems scary because people don’t know how to remove it (see step 5) and they think it’s bad for lashes.  That’s where the layering comes in; regular mascara under the waterproof acts as a barrier (and adds volume), so you don’t have to be afraid anymore.

3. Eyelash curler: Friend or foe?

I am not a personal fan of these torturous looking devices.  As far as I can tell, you are doing more harm than good by pulling out lashes.  Try curling mascara instead (they usually have a curved brush).  Unless you have some crazy Snuffleupagus thing going on, put down the curler.

4. Don’t be afraid of a mess
You know that panicky feeling when you’re applying mascara and you smudge a little?  It’s okay.  Calm down.  Take a deep breath.  Mascara has a setting time, so you have plenty of time to wipe it off (if it’s stubborn try some face cream on the end of a tissue).  In the meantime, if you smudge it just right with the help of a tissue, you can actually use it as eyeliner (awesome, right?).  If you’re too careful about making a mess when applying mascara, you could be missing out on that cool rocker-chic voluminous eyelashes look you’ve always wanted to try.

5. Eye makeup removal

Okay, I’m only giving this secret away once.  I think it’s like an old family secret or something because no one else I know does it.  Use baby oil to take off waterproof mascara, and you will never be faced with pulling out eyelashes again.  That bottle that says it removes waterproof mascara?  It doesn’t.  Just use baby oil; I promise you won’t regret it.  You’re welcome, everyone!

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.