Point Brugge Café

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

The endless grind of Carnegie Mellon doesn’t leave us much time to explore Pittsburgh, try out new activities or generally get out much at all…ever. So when we do decide to go out to dinner we want to make sure it’s worth the hassle.

Skip Lulu’s (the bubble teas will still be there tomorrow, I promise) and wander off the beaten path a bit to Point Brugge Café. It’s a restaurant nestled in a residential area off of Fifth. The small cozy spot is filed with mosaic tables, a wooden bar, of course, yummy dishes. The café opened back in 2005 and has since earned a strong reputation among pittsburgh restaurant-goers. The menu combines American and European foods and boasts Belgium beers and a nice little wine list to celebrate the completion of your latest essay or problem set. The restaurant is always full. 

The food options range from $10-$25. It’s a bit pricier making it the perfect place bring the family when they come to visit. Expect to see muscles, steak frittes, sandwiches and shrimp on the menu among many other options. My go-to at Point Brugge is the mustard crusted salmon that is served on top of a risotto cake. I always struggle to order something else, pretty much never do. But, luckily I can always steal bites from whomever I take to this place. I sampled on a lot on the menu, and trust me, it’s all delicious.  

The one pitfall? The restaurant doesn’t take reservations. So get there on the early side to avoid a long wait! 

Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.