One of the Boys: Bryn Loeffler Proves That Girls Can Be Just as Tough

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Hockey is stereotypically a men’s sport. Known for fights and smashing against the boards, all too many people think girls are too fragile to play the sport. Bryn Loeffler, a sophomore Global Studies and Hispanic Studies major with a Business Management minor, is proving all of those people wrong. She is the only female hockey player on the CMU team—and in the entire league. But being the only girl to suit up each game, doesn’t stop her from playing the sport she loves.

Bryn has been skating since first grade and played on her first hockey team in sixth grade. When she joined the CMU club team, it was the first time she had ever played on a team with guys. “My first practice I was absolutely terrified,” said Bryn. “I knew no one on the team, and I had no idea what to expect playing with guys. I learned quickly that men’s hockey is a completely different mindset, considering most of the guys have 40+ pounds on me. I was captain of my high school team and I was always a physical player, so it was frustrating to accept that everyone would always be so much bigger, stronger, and faster than me.”

Bryn is a versatile player for the CMU team. “I always played defense when I was younger,” said Bryn, “and I continued to play this position in high school. However, the Carnegie Mellon coach has been moving me around on the ice so I’ve had the chance to play offense as well.” She says that her favorite part of playing hockey at CMU is the people she has met. “I was very intimidated because everyone is so talented and absolutely huge,” said Bryn. “But they are the funniest, best group of guys and I am so lucky they accept me as a part of the team for the small role I play.”

Hockey is a dangerous sport and the other teams don’t exactly treat girls any differently. “Sometimes the teams we play against take advantage that I am the smallest player,” said Bryn, “and it gets a little rough. We were actually playing Case Western Reserve University this fall and this kid checked me pretty hard. I blacked out for a second and when I looked up I saw my teammate getting thrown out of the game for defending me. I am so grateful for the people I have met through hockey and the friends I have made.”

The CMU club hockey team is having a great season this year, and with a record of 7-1-2, they have a shot at the championship.?Of course, Bryn loves watching hockey almost as much as she loves playing it. Her favorite team is the Pittsburgh Penguins, and her favorite player is captain Sidney Crosby.

In addition to playing hockey from October through February, Bryn is also involved in many other activities at CMU. She is a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma, SDC Buggy, Sigma Alpha Iota and the All-University Orchestra. She also has a job in the computer science department and does robotics research with CoBot. Not stoping there, she worked for the EPA over the summer and was an Orientation Counselor for Boss. Being the only female hockey player in one of the roughest sports is certainly something, and in addition to being a great player and being involved on campus, Bryn is a great friend and sister

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports. 
Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.