Mixed Patterns Over Glitter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Since classes are starting to gear up, I wanted a simple and quick manicure for this week.  Using a glittery nail polish is a great way to add a little something to your manicure without adding a lot of time.  When you put patterns on top of the glitter, you can make your manicure look more unique!

What you’ll need:

– Nail polish: a glittery polish and a color that will show on top of it.  I chose Zoya’s Crystal (a blue and gold glitter) and Austine (a metallic gold).

– A thin brush for details.

How to do it:

1) Start off with your glittery color. Check out my tips for getting a good base.

2) Using your thin brush, draw your design with your second color on top.

I chose to do a different design on each nail: curly qs on the thumbs, triangles on the second finger, overlapping curves on the third, a diamond shape on the fourth, and slanted polka dots on the pinky.  Be creative with your designs, but remember to practice on a piece of paper first!

3) Once it’s dry, seal it with a topcoat to make the glitter shine!

Colleen is a Creative Writing and Professional Writing double major at Carnegie Mellon University, and will be graduating in May 2014. She is currently the Director of Social Media for Her Campus CMU, and partakes in a handful of other organizations on campus. When she's not writing, she's probably reading or spending time with her residents as an RA in a freshman dorm.