This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

It’s February, and you know what that means — soon, all the couples you know will be planning elaborate, candlelit dinners, and all of your single friends will be griping about “Singles’ Awareness Day.” But before you roll your eyes at the thought of another Valentine’s Day article, let’s get this straight — I’m here to talk about Galentine’s Day.

If you watch Parks and Recreation (and if you don’t, you totally should), you may remember the origin of Galentine’s Day. It’s a holiday invented by Leslie Knope, observed on February 13th. It’s a celebration of her female friends, regardless of who’s single or taken or sort-of-seeing someone. Galentine’s Day is not about romance, but it is about love: love of your friends.

Friendship is something that tends to get undervalued compared to romantic love, but I think that friends are just as important. Why should I rely on just one person to make me happy when I can have a whole group of people who love me and want to see me smiling? Besides, my future wedding will be pretty lonely if I don’t have anyone to be my bridesmaids.

But how do you celebrate Galentine’s Day? Any way you want to! As long as you’re celebrating your friendship, you’re doing it right. If you’re looking for some more concrete examples of what do to, here are some fun ideas:

1. Plan a fancy dinner

In the words of Donna Meagle, treat yo self. Pittsburgh has a ton of awesome restaurants, so take this opportunity to go to that place you’ve heard so many good things about. Bonus points if you get all dressed up.

2. Bake some Valentine’s Day themed desserts

Who said that only the couples get to enjoy all of those red velvet, heart-shaped baked goods? Find the most delicious-sounding recipe you can, and spend the evening baking (and eating) with your friends.

3. Have a movie night

Galentine’s Day is about celebrating friendship, so try to go for a movie that isn’t all about romance and love. Thelma & Louise and Bridesmaids are both good choices!

4. Host a spa night

Take the day to pamper yourselves. Do some fun nail art, put on some face masks (LUSH has some really great ones), and make sugar scrubs! There are tons of recipes for homemade spa treatments that you and your friends can make together.

5. Wine and cheese night

For those of you who are 21 and older, a wine tasting is great option. Have all your friends bring their favorite wine and cheese. Even if you know nothing about wine, you still get to try some new wines and, most importantly, eat cheese.

6. DIY night

Pinterest has thousands of cool DIY projects, but sometimes it can be hard to find time to actually sit down and make something. Pick out a few projects, gather some supplies, and have a crafting party with your friends. It’s like arts and crafts but grown up!

Regardless of whether your single, taken, or somewhere in between, it’s time to start celebrating Galentine’s Day. Call up all of your best friends, make some plans, and surround yourself with the love that comes along with close friendship.

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.