How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

5,4,3,2,1… Happy New Year!!! The second the clock turns to midnight, we all scream, laugh, kiss whoever’s closest whether it’d be a stranger or a lover and embrace what’s there to face in the new year. Much of the excitement of New Year’s Eve comes from not only watching fireworks with family and friends, but also looking forward to starting fresh and becoming a better person.

Every year, I make a long list of resolutions the night before the New Year and come up with many different ways to achieve these goals. In the beginning, I find myself determined to finally train for a marathon and do whatever it takes to achieve my goals, but I always somehow end up finishing the year still not having run those 26 miles. Why is that? Why is it so hard for me to constantly motivate myself to achieve my dream goals?

For the first month, it’s easy to get your words in action and get yourself to work, but it certainly gets harder as the hype of the New Year dies down along with your determination to accomplish your resolutions. Especially when you have long term goals such as eating healthy or quitting smoking, you lose interest and encouragement quickly because you don’t see successful results right away.

Whatever your New Year’s resolutions may be and whether or not you have already given up on achieving your goals, don’t be too discouraged because there are definitely ways to stay motivated and finally make things right this year!

1. Come up with specific sub-goals for each resolution that tells you exactly what to do everyday. It’s important to take small steps everyday to accomplish a big goal.

2. Make a collage or write an inspirational statement that first motivated you to put this resolution on your list and reference it in times of discouragement.

3. Call your resolutions “promises” so you take them seriously and not forget.

4. Let others around you know about your goals so they can encourage you to stay motivated and help you stick to it.

5. Give yourself an incentive after accomplishing every sub-goal. Incentives give you motivation to continue working towards your goal.

6. Start slowly and take little steps towards your goal. For instance, if you’re trying to quit an addiction, don’t suddenly stop or take away your addiction. Try to work your way slowly by reducing the number of times you abuse it.

7. Every three days, remind yourself of your resolution and encourage yourself to achieve your goals. Studies show that we tend to lose motivation every third day of whatever we are trying to achieve.

8. Record your daily routine in a journal or a diary. Make sure you reflect on what you did to accomplish your resolution everyday. When in need of encouragement, read past journal entries to regain determination and inspiration.

9. Surround yourself with positive factors that will keep you motivated. For instance, if you are trying to work out everyday, put up posters on your walls of fit models exercising and running or start reading fitness magazines every month.

10. Find someone with a similar goal as you and try to work together. Two is better than one when it comes to encouraging and supporting each other. 

Cheers to the New Year and let’s hope all our resolutions will come true! Good luck and make 2014 the best year yet!

Photo source:

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_larg…