How To Dress for Pittsburgh’s Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

I have lived in Pittsburgh for my entire life, so I have grown accustomed to the art of dressing for Pittsburgh’s fall weather. By now, I would assume that everyone knows what I mean by ‘Pittsburgh’s fall weather.’

Trust me, I know the feeling all too well. You wake up in the morning and it is bitter cold, so you walk to class wearing a sweater, jacket, and scarf, thinking your outfit is so on point with the weather. Then the afternoon comes and you look like you have just ran 6 miles because you are sweating so profusely. Although I love fall fashion, dressing for fall weather can be a struggle; so here are my pro-tips:

1. Cardigans are key. Cardigans are the essential fall layering must-haves because they are easy to throw on. Plus, cardigans go with pretty much everything! Cardigans are necessary for those crisp Pittsburgh fall mornings, but when it gets too hot in the afternoon, you can just take it off.

2. Buy an oversized jean jacket, it will change your life! Sometimes the Pittsburgh fall can turn into an early winter, even in October. I refuse to wear a winter coat earlier than mid-November, so I highly recommend buying an oversized jean jacket that will fit over your sweaters.

3. You better have rain boots. Southwestern Pennsylvania gets a lot of rain, so please buy rain boots ASAP! I promise by the end of the year you will be thanking me because rain boots are a lifesaver. Think about it, do you really want to ruin all of your cute fall boots? Rain boot recommendations: Hunter, Ralph Lauren, Sam Edelman, and Jeffrey Campbell.

4. Basic white t-shirts are everything! White t-shirts are not just a fall staple, but a basic that you should have in your closet year round because they are so versatile. White tees can be paired with anything from a cardigan to bomber jacket.

5. What is fall without blanket scarves? On days where it is a little bit cooler, I recommend wearing a blanket scarf to keep you warm. I recommend pairing a blanket scarf with a cardigan and simple t-shirt, so if you feel the sweat starting to drip you can take it off. Ladies, please do NOT be afraid to take off your scarf if you are too hot in the afternoon. I mean, do you really want your face to be beet red just from wearing a scarf? It’s simply not worth it, and scarves are perfect for layering.

6. Who doesn’t love a good flannel? Flannels are perfect for fall weather in Pittsburgh because they can keep you warm and cozy in the morning, and you can tie them around your waist in the afternoon when it’s hot.

7. Fingerless gloves are your best friend. While it is not cold enough for gloves quite yet, I suggest buying a pair of fingerless gloves because they are really great for those cold mornings when you are walking to class.

Lauren Kelly is a freshman at Carnegie Mellon University with the plan of studying creative and professional writing. In tenth grade, Lauren published her first novel through the Young Writer's Program in her creative writing class. As a senior in high school, Lauren was a staff writer on her school's newspaper.