This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

The newest information in food sciences and nutritional information seems to be all about going gluten-free or at least reducing daily gluten intake. After several of my family members went gluten-free, I decided to jump on the bandwagon this summer to test out some of the claims made by scientists and experts around the world. Granted, I love pizza and bagels as much as the next person, so instead of cutting gluten out of my diet completely, I have reduced my intake of gluten to once or twice a week in different meals. After about a month and a half of this reduced gluten diet, I have noticed a big difference in my skin and digestive system: my skin is clearer than it has ever been before and I am finding that I am able to digest foods much faster with less bloating after meals. Of course, I can’t prove that these results are in direct correlation with the amount of gluten I have been eating (since I am eating much healthier and exercising a lot more overall) but I’d like to think that reducing gluten has played an important role with these changes on my body.

For those of you who have been debating going gluten free, I know that one of the biggest fears is the seemingly “limited” number of meal options out there. That was one of my biggest concerns but with a little research and the help of a kitchen, I have been able to cook up some great gluten-free recipes to try this year. One of my favorite recipes is for gluten-free pancakes, perfect for anytime of day. Follow the instructions down below for how to make them! (And keep in mind that I am no expert in the kitchen so if I can make these, anyone can do it).

Ingredients:

2 Eggs

¼ cup Milk (can be almond or soy, whatever your preference)

1 over-ripe banana

Optional: strawberries, blueberries, chocolate chips, etc.

Step 1:

Peel the banana and mash it up in a medium-size mixing bowl. Using the back of a fork usually works best to mash it up. The consistency should be thick.

Step Two:

Add ¼ milk to the mashed up banana and mix together. The consistency should be more liquid than before.

Step Three:

Add 2 eggs in with the milk and banana and whisk the ingredients together until fully combined.

Step Four:

Prepare any fruits or chocolate that you want to add to the pancakes and place them in a small dish.

Step Five:

Place a small frying pan over medium heat and add cooking spray to prevent sticking.

Step Six:

Pour some of the banana/egg/milk mix into the frying pan. *It is up to you how big or small you want your pancakes to be for this part.

Step Seven:

Sprinkle fruit and other toppings into the pancake mixture on the frying pan.

Step Eight:

When the edges of the pancake are golden brown, flip the pancake over using a spatula.

Step Nine:

Wait another minute before flipping the pancake again and by this time the whole pancake should be golden brown.

Step Ten:

Transfer pancake from frying pan to plate and there you go! Time to Enjoy!

Photo Sources:

Intolerantfoodie.com

I'm currently a Junior majoring in Architecture and minoring in Technical Writing here at CMU :) Outside of academics I have a passion for fitness amd makeup artistry. 
I am currently senior majoring in Business Administration and Statistics with a track in Finance at Carnegie Mellon University. Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Enid Blyton and J.K Rowling are a few of my favorite authors. I also love watching British TV shows (Sherlock is my favorite!). On campus, I am involved in several activities, including Carnegie Mellon Business Association and Smart Woman Securities.