Fourshadowing the End: Why Zayn’s Departure Was Obvious

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past week or two, you’ve probably heard about, cried about, or maybe simply didn’t care about Zayn Malik’s announcement of quitting One Direction. The “Bradford bad boi” announced his exit from the band only a week following his departure from the “On the Road Again” world tour, citing “stress” as the reason for his hiatus. In an official statement, Zayn states, “My life with One Direction has been more than I could ever have imagined. But, after five years, I feel like it is now the right time for me to leave the band. I’d like to apologise to the fans if I’ve let anyone down, but I have to do what feels right in my heart. I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight. I know I have four friends for life in Louis, Liam, Harry and Niall. I know they will continue to be the best band in the world.” During the five years that Zayn was with 1D, the band won numerous awards, produced platinum records, and won the hearts of millions of teenage girls around the world.

As a once-obsessive Directioner (and more importantly, a die-hard Zayn fan), finding out about Zayn’s departure stung a little. No, actually more than a little. As stupid as it sounds, it was almost like a small piece of me died with it. Before One Direction, I had never joined the boy band mania or even thought about boy bands. But seeing Zayn’s *beautiful* face changed everything. Soon enough, I was a full-blown fangirl, watching all the X-factor videos, interviews, listening to all the music, calling up radio stations for 1D tickets (okay, that was really hard for me to admit), and memorizing every insignificant fact and detail about them. Though I grew to love the charismatic nature of all of the boys, Zayn was always my favorite. Along with his good looks and suave (c’mon, he is SOOO hot), his artsiness, goofiness, and introverted demeanor really connected with me.

Nonetheless, as the band began climbing to imminent stardom, Zayn seemed to be increasingly more uncomfortable with the spotlight. While the other members seemed to keep their goofy disposition intact, Zayn seemed increasingly reserved in any situations with exposure. Fame had taken a toll on him. To me, this gradual dissipation of his outward presence was the first of the warning signs leading up to his departure. In fact, it was also part of the reason why I slowly began to stop meticulously following 1D (probably for the better).

However, this isn’t the only theory I have surrounding Zayn’s departure. Consider some of these other observations I’ve made throughout the years leading up to his exit:

1. Zayn Has Always Been an R&B Dude

It’s common knowledge/my opinion that Zayn Malik clearly has the most beautiful voice out of all the boys. He can hit high notes, runs, and is far more consistent vocally than anyone in the band. After watching his X-Factor audition for the first time (he sang “Let Me Love You” by Mario, an R&B song), I was immediately surprised that he was even put into a group. His voice gives off a smooth, soulful, Sam-Smith-esque tone that can stand alone, not something meant for teeny-bopper pop. This is not to say that I didn’t want him in One Direction (because One Direction will never be the same without him). It’s just that I think his voice is much more suited for genres such as R&B and hip-hop. In his first interview from quitting, he states, “I did try to do something that I wasn’t happy doing for a while, for the sake of other people’s happiness.”

2. When Zayn Skipped the Today Show

Back in November, Zayn missed the promo of Four on the Today Show and a concert at Universal Studios due to a “stomach bug.” Regardless of whether or not his illness was real, this was the first of Zayn skipping 1D appearances. Not to mention, it was the promo day of their new album in the US (aka a very important day). Not to mention their album was named Four (we’ll get to that below).

3. Going Solo

Rumors began spreading last July that Zayn had been collaborating with producer Naughty Boy in July after Naughty Boy (real name Shahid Khan) was “really impressed” with Zayn’s writing abilities while working on songs. Zayn has also been pictured with the hit producer in studio (like above) and was recently spotted in studio again immediately after quitting. So perhaps this is not the last we’ll see of Zayn Malik…

4. Four

Okay, seriously?!? This is probably the most telling of them all. The band named their most recent album FOUR. As in, this is FOURSHADOWING Zayn quitting One Direction. The band is now reduced to FOUR members. Getting it now?

5. Zayn Leaving the Tour

This one nailed the coffin for me. As mentioned earlier in the article, Zayn left the tour about a week before quitting One Direction due to “stress.” Artists don’t simply leave tours for stress. While I didn’t expect him to leave that soon, I knew the end was inevitable.

While I’m sad to see my favorite 1D member go, I know it’s for the best. As with the rest of the One Direction fan community, I wish nothing but the best for the future of Zayn’s career and happiness.

(now, excuse me as I go wither in 1D nostalgia)

Emma Shi is a freshman at Carnegie Mellon University majoring in Decision Science (so she can learn how to make a decision, hopefully) and a self-diagnosed shopaholic. Along with contributing to Her Campus, she is also on the varsity swim team and in Tartan Athelete Fellowship. Her passions include all things pink, French fries, cake, skiing, New York City, and the clearance rack. She has secret ambitions of becoming an extreme couponer or the next Lauren Conrad. Unfortunately, she doesn't have an Instagram or Twitter account, but you will most likely find her on campus keeping it classy (aka probably being awkward). 
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.