Food Shopping on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

There are many questions that arise when it comes to shopping for essentials in college. How much should you be spending? What do you need and what can you forego? Is a budget really necessary? The answers can be tricky, but you do need a budget to be a smart shopper.  Here are some budgeting tips for buying things that you need, so you have more money for things that you want later.

1. Make a list of essentials.

• First, write down the basics — a list of what you need, not what you want. This list could include things like milk, bread, eggs, vegetables, and cheese. Choose foods that are both filling and nutritious.
  • Next, make a list of items that are not staples but are necessary for a healthy, well-balanced diet. This list could include pasta, chicken breasts, yogurt, and frozen foods.

2. Figure out where to shop.
Your grocery shopping does not have to get done in one day. Different foods can be purchased at different stores, depending on the best prices. There is never pressure to shop at a typical grocery store.

• Pay attention to places that are having sales on items on your list.
  • Foods like cereal and milk can be purchased at CVS or Rite Aid, and these items often come on sale.
  • Shopping at stores like Aldi can also help save money. Their prices are always cheaper than other stores because for the most part, they don’t sell name brands.

3. Remember to take advantage of what is on campus.
If you are on a school meal plan, use that money. Dinex can be used in Entropy to buy many staple items.

4. Have a plan to keep track of your money.
Keep an amount in mind when you go grocery shopping so you don’t overspend.   While it’s tough, remember not to buy anything that isn’t on your list. The cost of food adds up quickly, so be smart about how you spend your money.

If you make a plan and stick to it, you’ll be pleased to find that you have enough for that cute new swimsuit at the end of the year!  (And you’ll look great because you were able to avoid the temptation of all those croissants and cookies in the bakery section!  Win-win!)

Photo credit:
http://weheartit.com/entry/559…

Soniya Shah is an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon University studying technical writing and pre-med.
Laura Stiles is a Creative Writing, Professional Writing double major at Carnegie Mellon University who will be graduating in May 2014. In addition to being Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Carnegie Mellon chapter of HerCampus.com, she is Co-Prose Editor of The Oakland Review, Carnegie Mellon’s literary-arts journal, a manuscript reader for Carnegie Mellon University Press, and has copy-edited for Carnegie Mellon’s newspaper, The Tartan. She was also Communications and Arts Management Intern at The Hillman Center for Performing Arts in summer 2012, and is ecstatic to be studying abroad in Sheffield, England in spring 2013. In her free time, she enjoys singing along to music on long car rides, spontaneously kicking off her shoes to explore lakes and creeks, and curling up with a soft blanket and a captivating book. She was also recently pleasantly surprised to discover that she has a taste for sushi.