This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Pittsburgh may have a certain small city charm where everything is in walking distance and you can casually run into friends at the coffee shop, but it’s not a major cultural hub. Sometimes you just want to get away. I find that travelling really inspires me because every city has its own very characteristic style that, with some creativity, can translate into outfits. Travelling on a budget and finding the time between school activities and heavy CMU coursework can be a challenge for any student, but staying at a friend’s place and choosing cheaper transportation can make going away for the weekend a definite possibility.

A recent trip to New York, one of the world’s fashion capitals, confirmed all my greatest expectations. Between the brunches, museums, shopping and endless walks, the city is full of art and culture if you are willing to explore.

Style #1 – Street Art

Even though Fall is already here to stay that doesn’t mean you should push your colorful clothes to the back of the closet. In fact, this is the perfect time to mix and match your pieces to bring a hint of brightness to a cloudy day. Color blocking works especially well when you can use accessories to bring the outfit together. This street art piece can be seen from the Highline and it represents a modern take on a classic. This outfit too is all about the contrasts of color, textures and styles.

Style #2 – Manhattan Bound

New York is all about the sky scrapers, clean lines and a mix of different materials and styles whether it comes to architecture or the local’s styles. While matching different fabrics and patterns in your outfits can be dangerous, following a theme – in this case metallic – is a good place to start. Choose a central piece like the shorts and work around it. Details on the boots and sunglasses bring the look together and the black blazer is perfect for transitioning into a night out with friends. To add a pop of color, choose a nail polish or lipstick that will contrast with the outfit.

Style #3 – Stroll in the Park

New York is a place for adventures. Mysteries, romances, friendship or whatever, you name it and the city has the perfect backdrop for it. Put on your comfortable sneakers and coordinate them with some cozy yet stylish pieces such as a cape and a loose fitting skirt. To put yourself in the mood to explore choose some warm Fall colors and mix match accessories. And now you are ready, put your maps in a backpack and go!

I am currently senior majoring in Business Administration and Statistics with a track in Finance at Carnegie Mellon University. Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Enid Blyton and J.K Rowling are a few of my favorite authors. I also love watching British TV shows (Sherlock is my favorite!). On campus, I am involved in several activities, including Carnegie Mellon Business Association and Smart Woman Securities.