Fall Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

It’s that time of year again, when the leaves start to change color and Starbucks finally brings back their pumpkin lattes. Unfortunately, this also means putting away sundresses and flip-flops in preparation for the coming winter months.

But fortunately, fall fashion this year is hot. There are so many new trends, new looks, and even an unexpected color. Here are the top ten trends of fall, including the must-haves!

10. Black and White
Possibly the classiest combination, these colors will be appearing everywhere this fall. And that includes dressier clothes, like suits.

9. Burgundy Raincoats
We all know how much it rains in Pittsburgh. And this is a must-have for the season.

8. Warm Sweaters
Remember in high school when you would have an ugly sweater week around the holidays? Well, pull out those sweaters because the comfortable, cozy sweaters are back. And there are plenty of ways to wear them, so consider them a fashion staple this fall.

7. The Color Red
Red is sexy. And it’s appearing in dresses, sweaters and pants. It’s the boldest look around.

6. Belted White Dresses
Belts add a pop of color and add so much to a sweet white dress.

5. Bold Plaid
Oh yes, this is perfect for Carnegie Mellon. Plaid is in, bright and bold, especially in coats.

4. Pale Gray Dresses
Gray has become a very fall color and it’s back again, in draped, comfortable dresses.

3. Booties
Those cute little shoes match with everything: jeans, leggings, skirts, dresses and come in about every color possible.

2. Leather
Girls on the runway are rocking leather dresses and jackets this fall.

1. Prints
Of course, every season has prints. But, this fall, prints are not just dominating clothing, they have moved on to handbags and shoes.

Soniya Shah is an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon University studying technical writing and pre-med.
Laura Stiles is a Creative Writing, Professional Writing double major at Carnegie Mellon University who will be graduating in May 2014. In addition to being Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Carnegie Mellon chapter of HerCampus.com, she is Co-Prose Editor of The Oakland Review, Carnegie Mellon’s literary-arts journal, a manuscript reader for Carnegie Mellon University Press, and has copy-edited for Carnegie Mellon’s newspaper, The Tartan. She was also Communications and Arts Management Intern at The Hillman Center for Performing Arts in summer 2012, and is ecstatic to be studying abroad in Sheffield, England in spring 2013. In her free time, she enjoys singing along to music on long car rides, spontaneously kicking off her shoes to explore lakes and creeks, and curling up with a soft blanket and a captivating book. She was also recently pleasantly surprised to discover that she has a taste for sushi.