Entertainment Blog: What You Missed This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

First of all, welcome back to school!  As CMU students, most of us are too busy during the school year to keep up with all of our favorite celebs, and with internships and other summer commitments, we don’t really have time for the Kardashians and the Windsors during our “break” either.  Luckily, using my blog as an excuse, I’ve been keeping up with all the latest news, and I’m here to share it with you.  From the obvious (like you had to be living under a rock to miss it), to the finer points of Amanda Bynes’ life, here are the top 10 stories in entertainment of summer 2013:

1. Amanda Bynes is crazy.

Nose jobs, arrests, wigs, and more.  One day Drake is ugly, the next day she loves him.  She has called anyone who’s anyone ugly.  If you want a good laugh, just check out her Twitter account.  The craziness just keeps on going. The child star was finally placed on psychiatric hold at the end of July.  Amanda’s parents have conservatorship over her because she “poses a risk to herself”.  Does anyone else miss the sweet teen star?

2. Prince George has arrived.

Will, Kate, and little George are officially the cutest family since Diana and her boys.  The new parents are raising their son to have a far more normal life than any past royal.  Will even drove the car leaving the hospital himself.  They spent the first several weeks at Buckleberry Manor, Kate’s parents home.  They’ll soon move to Kensington Palace, where they will stay in Apartment 1-A.  Even more importantly, we know that Kate is breastfeeding (or we are pretty sure at least).  The dress she was spotted in after the birth is a nursing dress.  How… normal of her.

3. Baby North West has also arrived.

While not nearly as important as the royal birth, Kanye and Kim’s daughter is sort of like reality TV royalty.  The famous duo of have been pretty quiet since North was born in June, but North West made her debut on grandma Kris’s new talk show (which is a thing now, by the way), and she is gorgeous.  The family has been living at the Jenner’s house for some peace and quiet since the birth.  

4. Miley likes to twerk.

And twerk, and twerk.  She’s not Hannah Montana anymore, that’s for sure.  It seems like things have been going downhill (and by downhill I mean getting more and more trashy) since she cut her hair, and everything culminated at the VMA’s.  If you missed the VMA performance and wondered what everyone has been talking about, watch it.  You’ll laugh and cry.  And you’ll feel really sorry for Robin Thicke.  Of course, Miley is still engaged to Liam Hemsworth, who must also be crazy to think Miley’s behavior is normal.

5. “Sharknado” happened.

The title says it: a tornado spewing sharks all over Southern California.  It was so bad that it was good.  And it had all of Twitter in an uproar.  The premiere on Syfy attracted 1.4 million viewers, and there will be a sequel.  Basically, it’s the biggest moment for sharks since Shark Week.

6. Angelina Jolie underwent a preventative double mastectomy and inspired everyone in the process.

Of course, her famous hubby Brad Pitt was right by her side.  Angie has a gene that makes her predisposed for breast cancer and ovarian cancer.  The star underwent the surgery back in February and kept the whole thing a secret until May when she went public in a New York Times piece she wrote.  She also plans to have her ovaries removed in the future.  Angie says she did it for her kids, so that they wouldn’t have to worry about her in the future.  So inspiring!

[pagebreak]

7. Ben Affleck is Batman and Justin Timberlake wants to be his Riddler.

The internet blew up when the Argo director was named by Warner Brothers to be the next Batman, and not all of the responses were positive.  There are even petitions out there to recast the role.  #BetterBatmanThanBenAffleck was trending on Twitter.  Warner Brothers says they will not recast the role.  After the backlash, Justin Timberlake revealed that he supports Ben as Batman and he would love to play the Riddler, but definitely not Robin.  

8. Selena and the Biebs are NOT together.

Selena confirmed to Ryan Seacrest in an interview that she and Justin Bieber are no longer an item.  And you can’t really blame Selena for ending things when he’s been walking around looking like this:

Since then, the Biebs has been getting in fights everywhere he goes and getting complaints from his neighbors for driving too fast.  Way to not let fame affect you, Justin.

9. Everyone is using Vine, except for the Kardashians who are using Keek.

Jimmy Fallon, Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, Ryan Seacrest, Zach Braff, and more are all using the app to post six second videos.  But who has more followers than all of them?  This guy:

His name is Nicholas Megalis, and 2.6 million people follow him for his signature comedic vines.  

10. Kaley Cuoco dated Superman… for a week.

The short-lived romance began back in July. They were spotted holding hands and looking happy on several occasions.  Then, they broke up.  “It was a wonderful relationship but we never spoke a word about it and never went anywhere together,” said the star of “The Big Bang Theory”.  Cuoco previously dated her costar Johnny Galecki (Leonard).  Am I the only one who thinks that relationship sounds like a great idea?  

11. Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux STILL haven’t tied the knot.

No worries, the couple is still together and happy; Jen says she’s just too busy to plan a wedding.  Busy doing what, you ask?  Stripping in her new movie, “We’re the Millers”, of course.

12. Simon Cowell got a married woman pregnant.

And not just any married woman, but his friend’s wife.  That’s real classy, Simon.  Are we really surprised?  The X Factor producer was engaged before, but they broke it off.  In Simon’s defense, Lauren Silverman is almost divorced, and Simon says he thinks he’ll make a good dad.  The two have been spotted together recently.

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.