Craft Blog: DIY Origami Crane Wall Décor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

About the Project: As promised, here is the blog post for DIY origami crane wall décor! This project is very similar to my previous post, DIY flower wall décor. If you haven’t seen it, check it out here! This is another fun way to spice up your wall or window.

Materials Needed:

-Origami paper

-Fishing line

-Scissors

-Sewing needle

-Wall putty

Step-by-Step:

1)      If you don’t know how to fold a paper crane out of origami paper, here is a useful link: http://www.origami-fun.com/origami-crane.html. Make as many as you feel necessary.

2)      Next, measure out your fishing line. Always over-measure by a few inches because your line will get slightly shorter throughout the process.

3)      String the fishing line onto the needle. Leave about 5-6 inches hanging on one side. On the other end of the line, tie a triple or quadruple knot (big enough so it won’t slip through the paper crane).

4)       From the bottom of the crane, string the needle through the middle of the body up to the top.

5)      Now you have a crane sitting on top of the knot! Measure out where you want the second crane to fall, and tie a triple/quadruple knot. This will stop the next crane from collapsing onto the previous one. It doesn’t matter how far you separate yours; you can make them as close or as far as you want. Repeat the entire process (steps 3-4) until you finish stringing on the cranes. Tie a knot at the other end of the line, and cut off the loose ends.

6)      To hang your cranes up on a wall or window, take a small ball of wall putty and press it onto a flat surface. Push the top of the line into the putty. This usually doesn’t look nice, so take another crane and press it into the putty to cover it up.

7)      And there you have it! Make as many lines as you’d like. The types and colors of the cranes you use, the length and the evenness of the strings are all up to you, so go wild! I guarantee it will spice up any wall or window instantly. Enjoy!