Cosmopolitan Su Baykal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Su Baykal, in a word, is cosmopolitan.  She calls Izmir, Turkey and Geneva, Switzerland her homes. She speaks four languages, Turkish, Italian, French and English, fluently and without an accent.

As a sophomore Psychology major, she easily adapted to college life. She settled into several activities that she dedicated herself to. In addition to being the Staff Representative for WRCT, CMU’s radio station, she teaches yoga at the Sustainability House on campus.

On what she learned in her first year at CMU: “I learned how to manage my responsibilities without making them the center of my life. I learned the importance of looking after myself”, says Su. “I also learned how much education in college is so much more than the courses. “

She joined WRCT because of her intense love of music. When she heard the WRCT members DJing the Cut, it made her feel at home. She started training to be a DJ. Being nominated as Staff Representative came as a surprise. However, she decided to take a chance and run for the position.

From accepting the nomination for this position, she has “learnt the value of putting myself out there. I used to be afraid of being rejected. I realized that if you don’t try, you have no chance of achieving your goals.”The position has allowed her to become much more involved with the organization this year. “WRCT is more than radio. It is a connection between CMU and Pittsburgh.”

In her free time, Su enjoys taking pictures, biking around Pittsburgh, cooking and doing yoga.

The most beautiful aspect of Su’s cosmopolitan nature is that she finds her home among the people she loves. Wherever they are, her home is present, especially in regards to her 10 year old sister. “I love that we can laugh together. Our humor clicks. We’ll exchange glances and know exactly what the other one is thinking. I miss her a lot when I’m at school.”

CMU’s culture is enriched because Su makes her home here. From yoga to music, she is bringing peace to CMU’s campus.