Campus Celebrity: Nicole Marrow ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

For some people, music, TV, and social media are just a minor part of their lives that fill in the time between homework, classes, and activities. However, for Nicole Marrow, a junior majoring in Decision Sciences and minoring in Professional Writing, pop culture holds an important place in her life, and is something she hopes to shape a career around.

While she has no solid plans after graduation besides meeting at least one star of the Real Housewives, hopefully from Beverly Hills, Nicole has a general idea of what she wants to do with her life. “I’m not entirely sure what direction I want to head toward, but probably either research for a television network or public relations somewhere in the realm of entertainment,” she said. “I’m thinking about applying for the Masters of Entertainment Industry Management program at CMU’s Heinz College, so we’ll see where that takes me!”

And of course, like all diligent CMU students, Nicole is already making impressive strides toward her goal. As an intern for the CMU International Film Festival last year, Nicole had a hand in choosing what movies were selected. She also worked on the public relations and logistics committees. You may have seen the promotional posters she designed and distributed across campus advertising the screenings, or read text that she wrote for the website. She even single-handedly organized and hosted an event that accompanied one of the films.

“This position in particular really got me excited about pursuing a career that mixed both entertainment and public relations, but I learned that it is a lot more work than you might think to get people to care about something that you’re really passionate about,” she said. “Providing food usually helps.”

Perhaps the skills she learned through her work with the CMU International Film Festival helped Nicole in her more recent work on Trans-Q Television, an online video variety show that explores art and gender expression. Nicole got to take a stab at directing when she developed and put together an original segment for the first episode of the show. She continued to refine her marketing and public relations skills when she promoted and planned the premiere party for the show, which included “drag performances and a screening of some of our favorite clips.”

Ever the social media aficionado, Nicole also ran the Twitter account and edited the show’s blog. And her Twitter skills are nothing to scoff at: “Tatiana Maslany, who stars in Orphan Black, and Mae Whitman, from Parenthood and Perks of Being a Wallflower, both replied to me on Twitter,” Nicole touted. “It was awesome.”

There are few better places Marrow could take her writing skills and love for everything pop culture than The Cut Magazine, CMU’s student-run music magazine. In years past, Nicole has written album reviews, concert reviews, and artist interviews. This year, however, she earned her own designated corner of the magazine – a monthly column called “In Defense Of…” where she fights back against the hate that particular figures in pop culture typically receive (think Miley Cyrus). “I love pop music, and I love making other people care about pop music, so The Cut is a perfect home for me,” Nicole said.

Nicole also serves as an upbeat role model for the Carnegie Mellon and Pittsburgh communities. She became an Orientation Counselor, “because it looked like a lot of fun during my own Orientation week, but I’ve come to realize that it’s an incredibly important position because they really do shape the future of the campus community!”

Nicole is also a mentor for Strong Women Strong Girls, an organization that partners with schools and after-school programs around Pittsburgh to help teach girls about strong female role models throughout history. The mentors also encourage the girls to follow their dreams and achieve great things. “It’s such a rewarding part of my life because I grew up in Pittsburgh and I think about how much I would have loved to be in a program like this one, so I really enjoy giving that to other girls,” Marrow said.

Somehow, Nicole still finds time to work in the CMU Housing Office and serve as the Vice President of Chapter Development for Delta Delta Delta, a sorority that she finds to be very rewarding. “[Delta Delta Delta] has become a major source of support for making me believe that the crazy ideas that I have could actually become a reality,” Nicole said.

While it’s true that Nicole has seen every season of Big Brother and even pays for the live 24/7 Internet feeds every summer (“I have no shame when it comes to my favorite television shows,” she said), she also hopes that she made a positive impact on CMU during her time as a student. “I hope that I was a friendly face on campus that made a semester full of exams, projects, and problem sets a little more enjoyable in some small way,” she said.

To keep up on Nicole’s escapades and find out if she ever does meet a real housewife of Beverly Hills, follow her on Twitter and Instagram (both @nicmarboss)!

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.