Campus Celebrity: Alexa Roberts ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Carnegie Mellon is teeming with talented, brilliant, and accomplished young ladies. One of them is none other than Alexa Roberts. Alexa is currently a third year Architecture major with a minor in Creative Writing. She grew up in Mexicali, Baja California, a small city right on the border of Mexico and California, and is the second oldest of five. Having grown up in Mexico, she learned both Spanish and English simultaneously and speaks Spanish at home. Some of her hobbies include writing poetry and fiction, painting, sketching, photography, and watching television shows. Here at CMU, Alexa is the Coordinator for the Architecture Peer Mentor Program, sister of Kappa Kappa Gamma, and a Senator for College of Fine Arts (CFA) in the Undergraduate Student Senate.

As of today, Alexa has served on Student Senate as a CFA Senator for a year and a half. She had been a part of student government back in high school and decided to continue throughout college. Starting in fall of 2013, Alexa was the Campus Life Committee Chair. The following spring semester, she not only sat on the Campus Life committee but also on Communications and Finance committees. She was first introduced to it by a friend who took her to a meeting. She was so impressed by how many responsibilities Senate had on campus and loved the fact that everyone had a voice in the organization. Alexa dove headfirst into Senate and was eventually elected the Senator for CFA.

Senate has become a huge part of Alexa’s CMU experience. She continues to take on responsibilities as a member of the Campus Life Committee, as well as those of being the CFA Senator, and recently joined the Public Arts Committee. She passionately stated,

“I continue to be a member of Campus Life Committee because I am very interested in improving people’s experience at CMU, from school pride to reducing the stress culture. This semester, I am also joining the Public Arts Committee tot ake the experience I have with architecture an art into helping the campus.”

In her time in Senate, Alexa not only accomplished numerous goals but also learned valuable lessons, especially in time management and interpersonal skills. When she started out as Campus Life Committee Chair, she found herself spread way too thin. Being over-programmed taught Alexa how to delegate her time put her own well-being and health above her hectic schedules. She also learned the importance of listening to every voice in CFA that called out to her. Being a Senator for her college meant representing all her peers on campus. These two lessons have shaped Alexa into a diligent and responsible young woman who has everyone’s interests at heart.

Aside from Senate, Alexa has many other achievements. She has made Dean’s List two semesters in a row while overloading on units (she’s taking 63 right now!). She also volunteered her time, talent, and artistic eye to her sisters in Kappa in preparation for and during Formal Membership Recruitment, which occurred this past week. Her work included filming a skit, taking photos for the house, participating in recruitment workshop activities, and creating the theme and making the decorations for Philanthropy Night of FMR. Outside of school and extracurriculars, Alexa writes stories. She is currently working on a fiction novel in her spare time.

Many campus stars and their accomplishments for the student body are not always prominent or well known. They twinkle among the student body, slowly glowing brighter and brighter until their achievements light up the world around us. Alexa Roberts is certainly one of them. In the short time that I’ve known her, I’ve been amazed at her dedication to all her responsibilities, her incredible talent, and her ability to remain poised and elegant at all times. So, Lady Tartans, if you ever see her around campus, be sure to say hi to her! Her beautiful warm smile will always twinkle right back.

I'm currently a junior studying Business Administration with an additional major in Decision Science. Two places I call home are New Jersey and Taiwan. On campus, I'm involved with Dancers' Symposium, CMBA, UMO, and am a sister of Kappa Kappa Gamma. Some of my hobbies include writing, snowboarding, art, dance music, traveling, and running. My guilty pleasures are playing with cosmetics, shoe shopping, and Gossip Girl. You can always spot me on campus in heels (as if I were still in New York City) and holding a dirty chai latte!
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.