This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

As collegiettes, going out to eat is a great experience to escape campus, get a break from campus food, and take your mind off homework. Finding new places is always fun but no one wants to try a restaurant without hearing good reviews first. BRGR is a great new restaurant in Pittsburgh that all of you carnivores (and veggie-burger eaters) should try!

BRGR is located on Penn Circle in East Liberty. It is an easy drive or bus ride from CMU’s campus. It doesn’t take reservations so make sure you show up early during the busy dinner rush. One great thing about BRGR? When you put your name down with the host or hostess you don’t have to stand in the small busy hallway of the restaurant, because they will text you when your table is ready. Another cool way technology plays into your dining experience.

Given the name, burgers are the featured item on the menu and let me tell you—they are delicious. The beef is a handcrafted blend of sirloin, chuck, rib eye, and strip, grounded daily. With your first bite into a BRGR burger you notice the freshness. It is so much better than a fast food burger.

Some of BRGR’s featured burgers are the Button Buster (braised beef short ribs, white cheddar cheese, béarnaise aioli, crispy onions), Kobe Beef (pickled red onions, arugula, creamy bleu cheese, oven-roasted tomatoes), and Shrooms (forest mushrooms, caramelized onions, brie cheese, mustard aioli). It also offers the Average Joe option with lettuce, tomato, onion, and cheese. BRGR allows substitutions for all of their burgers so feel free to mix match ingredients from each burger option.

For those collegiettes over 21, make sure you try one of BRGR’s spiked shakes. All are made with hand-spun premium ice cream and alcohol to mix things up. Two examples of the shakes are Chocolate Covered Pretzel (rum, pretzel crumble, salty caramel, and dark chocolate) and Cupajoe (Irish whiskey, espresso, and dark chocolate). Don’t worry—BRGR also serves delicious non-alcoholic milkshakes if you are under-age or DD for the night.

The next time you’re looking for a new place to eat with your friends or your special other, head to Penn Circle and try BRGR!

Lauren Mobertz studies Professional Writing and Hispanic Studies at Carnegie Mellon University, and will graduate in May 2012. To fuel her interest in urban studies, Lauren interned at Oakland Planning and Development Corporation in fall 2010. Since she received her passport, Lauren has not spent more than 7 consecutive months in the US. She spent spring 2011 in Santiago, Chile, translating documents for Educación 2020 and practicing her salsa; summer 2010 in Durban, South Africa, studying the social and economic impacts of the FIFA World Cup and volunteering for WhizzKids United; and spring break 2010 hosting art workshops in Siuna, Nicaragua. Somehow, she always manages to keep up with How I Met Your Mother and a little bit of running, no matter what city she's based in. Lauren hopes to settle down in the East Coast and enter education administration.