The Best Places Pittsburgh Has To Offer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

There are unlimited perks to going to college in a city.  Every day and especially every weekend, there are always events going on and crazy new places to discover.  Each day proffers the prospects of a new adventure, especially the “Most Livable City” Pittsburgh.

Although CMU is overwhelming with its workload, sometimes we students need a break and a little spice to our life.  In my free time, I love to explore this great city, and thankfully, downtown is only a 8 minute bus ride away and gives us just the right seasoning we’re looking for.  Here are the first five of my favorites.

1.       Point State Park

During the warm months (and in Pittsburgh there are quite few yet highly treasured), it’s excellent to venture downtown with a gaggle of your friends or even a cute date for a picnic at the meeting of Pittsburgh’s famous three rivers.  A beautiful fountain and a very cool fort all packed in one, it’s the perfect place to enjoy the sun while it isn’t hidden in the clouds for the rest of the year.

2.       The Mattress Factory

Fun Fact: CMU students get into this attraction for free with their ID!  And what better reason to venture to this spectacular modern art museum on a lazy afternoon.  The intricate contemporary works will astound you and your artsy friends, and every sense that can possibly be tantalized will be used.  Also, the installations are swapped out every so often, which gives you more reasons to revisit this amazing museum.

3.       The Andy Warhol Museum

Yep, this is another free one for CMU students (aren’t you glad you have that plaid ID? #plaidpride).  Andy Warhol was actually a CMU student a very long time ago, and a local Pittsburgher.  Come on down to this museum to take a trip through the life and work of this magnificent artist and the crazy work he’s done.  It will make you proud to be a Tartan.

4.       Dave and Andy’s

Hands up if you love ice cream!  Dave and Andy’s is hands-down the best ice cream ever made.  Homemade and with over 200 flavors to explore, your sweet tooth yearns to be satiated with this Pittsburgh favorite.  I recommend the Apple Pie ice cream.

5.       Phipps Conservatory

Although staring at plants doesn’t seem to be the most fun thing to do on a first date, Phipps is often the place where love is found.  Surrounded by beautiful flowers, trees, and shrubs, people often have their weddings in this gorgeous verdant emporium.  Of course, you don’t have to bring bae here, as any friend would enjoy this beautiful place.  Phipps even has an amazing Winter Lights collection to marvel at during the cold months.  CMU students also get free visits here (are there any limitations to that amazing ID? I think not).

So when you can’t possibly stand one more minute in Hunt or your dorm, make your way to these amazing locations and remember what amazing experiences life (and for the most part, that awesome CMU ID) can give to you

Anne Noonan studies Chemical and Biomedical Engineering as a freshman at Carnegie Mellon University. She hails from the Chicago South suburbs and loves to write, talk, and tell and hear stories. During her free time, she likes to explore the outdoors with white water rafting, kayaking, rock climbing, running, and hiking. On a regular, busy CMU day, however, she can be seen studying with her friends and drinking copious amounts of coffee.
I am currently senior majoring in Business Administration and Statistics with a track in Finance at Carnegie Mellon University. Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Enid Blyton and J.K Rowling are a few of my favorite authors. I also love watching British TV shows (Sherlock is my favorite!). On campus, I am involved in several activities, including Carnegie Mellon Business Association and Smart Woman Securities.