Alternative Summer Plans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Summer is only a few weeks away–do you know what your plans are? Some of you may be lucky enough to have an internship or job waiting for you. But I know there are others who are panicking about what to do this summer. Don’t stress! Summer is time for relaxation; leave the stress for your finals. Below are some alternative plans to consider for your currently free summer.

1. Volunteer

Volunteering is a great way to build your resume. Future employers will be impressed that you’ve dedicated your time to something that betters your community. Some places to volunteer at are the local library, animal shelter, hospital or children’s day camp. These places are almost always looking for extra hands to help them out. So when you get home call these places and see if they could use you for the summer. The best part about volunteering is you can do as little or as much as you want, so you can lend a hand a few days a week and still have time to tan by the pool.

2. Local Businesses

Even if there isn’t a “help wanted” sign in the window a business in your town still might be looking for an extra hand. It can’t hurt to ask local restaurants, clothing stores or pet shops (to name a few) if they are hiring. There is a chance you could get lucky. Plus, by filling out an application you are ensuring that the business will have your resume on hand when they are hiring in the future.

3. Research

Research is a great way to gain experience and learn more about your field of study. CMU offers great research programs that you can tap into. Plus, by doing summer research you’d get to see Pittsburgh in the summer­–the only time of the year when Pittsburgh gets any sun. You can also check at a university closer to home to see if you could join a research program there. Working close with professors or researchers is great experience through and through. Don’t forget, these professors can write you future recommendations.

4. Summer Classes

After two semesters filled of school at CMU you may not want to take classes over the summer. Taking just one or two classes, though, can get you ahead in your studies. That way you will have more time to relax when you’re back at school in the fall.  Many classes can be scheduled at convenient times or even taken online. Even with summer classes on your plate you will still have time to enjoy your summer and you won’t be studying all day.

5. Goals

You know all those things you wish you had time to do during the semester? Summer is the perfect time to actually do them. Whether you want to 50 books or write one, work out daily, take up a new hobby or anything else you’ve been eager to do but didn’t have time for during the semester, summer is the perfect time to accomplish your goals.  

6. Road Trip

Get in your car and drive! Summer is the perfect opportunity to travel. Gather friends from home that you haven’t seen during the school year and drive to places you’ve always wanted to see. Or visit friends from school that you’ll be missing during the summer. This is the season to spend time with friends.

Well there you have it–even if you don’t have summer plans yet you can still find ways to make your summer fun and productive. Get on it, girl!

Lauren Mobertz studies Professional Writing and Hispanic Studies at Carnegie Mellon University, and will graduate in May 2012. To fuel her interest in urban studies, Lauren interned at Oakland Planning and Development Corporation in fall 2010. Since she received her passport, Lauren has not spent more than 7 consecutive months in the US. She spent spring 2011 in Santiago, Chile, translating documents for Educación 2020 and practicing her salsa; summer 2010 in Durban, South Africa, studying the social and economic impacts of the FIFA World Cup and volunteering for WhizzKids United; and spring break 2010 hosting art workshops in Siuna, Nicaragua. Somehow, she always manages to keep up with How I Met Your Mother and a little bit of running, no matter what city she's based in. Lauren hopes to settle down in the East Coast and enter education administration.