5 Drink Recipes Perfect for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Summer is here, and I’m sure you’re all wondering how you’ll stay cool in these hot months ahead. Sit back and read these five recipes for drinks for all ages, perfect for lounging by the pool, or on the beach.

1. Easy Peach Lemonade

Peaches are this summer’s fruit, so kick off the season with a pitcher of this refreshing recipe:

Ingredients                    

1-pound package frozen peaches

12-ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate

36 ounces water (fill the lemonade cup up three times)

Instructions

1. Place all of the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth

2. Serve over icce. **Can also be made into a slush. Add ice to blender and only 1 can of water would be needed.

2. Arizona Sunset

Arizona is accustomed to the heat of the summer, so who would be better to design a summer friendly drink?

Ingredients

IceGrenadine1 cup Sprite soft drink1 cup orange juiceMaraschino cherries or orange slices, for garnish (optional)

Instructions

Place ice in 2 glasses. Add a splash of Grenadine to each glass. In a small pitcher or other container, stir the Sprite and orange juice together. Slowly pour over the Grenadine, dividing the mixture between the two glasses. Garnish with cherries or orange slices, if desired.

3. Strawberry, Lime, Cucumber and Mint Water

Sometimes nothing is better on a hot summer day than a nice glass of water. Spice up your regular glass with some fruit and other fun flavors to make a drink as delicious as it is refreshing.

Ingredients

1-cup sliced strawberries

1-cup slices cucumbers

2 limes, slices

¼-cup fresh mint leaves

ice cubes

water

Instructions

In a half-gallon jar, or a 2-quart pitcher, layer the strawberries, cucumbers, lime slices, and mint leaves with the ice cubes. Fill jar or pitcher with water. Let chill                          for 10 minutes, and then enjoy!

4. Coconut and Lavender Lemonade

If you’re a little more ambitious about your summer drinks, try out this coconut and lavender lemonade. It requires a little more time, but the results will be deliciously thirst quenching.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups fresh squeezed lemon juice, from about 9 lemons

1 3/4 cups sugar

8 cups coconut water

4 cups water

1/2 recipe Lavender Simple Syrup (recipe follows)

2 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups water

3 tablespoons dried lavender

A few drops of violet food coloring (optional)

Instructions

For the lavender syrup:

1.     Combine the sugar, water, and lavender in a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan.

2.     Bring to a boil on high heat, and boil for 1 minute.

3.     Remove from the heat, cover, and let the lavender steep in the syrup for 20 minutes.

4.     Strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove the lavender, add the food coloring (food coloring is optional and is just used for presentation purposes).

5.     Set syrup aside to cool.

6.      Once cooled, place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.

7.     Place lemon juice, sugar, coconut water, and water into a pitcher and shake or stir vigorously until all the sugar is dissolved. I prefer to shake because it aerates the lemonade and makes a nice head on top.

8.     Pour 1/2 of the lavender syrup into the pitcher and stir. You can add more or less lavender syrup to your personal taste. I personally find that 1/2 of the lavender syrup recipe is a good balance.

5. Pineapple Sparkler

Nothing says summer like pineapples in the sun. Use pineapple chunks to make this delicious pineapple smoothie, perfect for any location this summer.

Ingredients

2 cups fresh pineapple- cut into chunks

¼ cup lime juice

¼ cup cream of coconut

12 ounces coconut sparkling water

1-1/2 cups ice

Instructions

1.   Place all ingredients in blender & blend on high for about 45-60 seconds- making sure all the ice is crushed before pouring into your serving glasses.

2.   Garnish with pineapple, lime or mint.