10 Ways to Love Your Body This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Don’t have a special someone to spend Valentine’s Day with? Be your own Valentine! No one can love you better than you can. Since the 14th falls on a Friday this year, take the night to spend with yourself or your best friends and love yourselves.

10. Sleep! Nothing says, “I love you, Self” like a good night’s sleep. Sometimes sleeping has a negative stigma to it, especially at CMU. Why bother sleeping when you can be doing something important, like homework? Nothing is more important for your body than sleep, though. That’s the time that your body heals, and getting a good night’s sleep can keep you from getting sick, or can help you fight off any viruses you may come in contact with during the day. Not to mention, if you’re well rested, you’ll be more alert when you’re awake. You’ll learn more in class, perform better on tests, and be generally happier if your body is properly charged.  Aim for 6-8 hours a night.

9. Take time to exercise. Just like getting enough rest is important, it is also important to maintain a healthy level of activity. Even if it’s just getting up and taking a walk around campus for 20 minutes, some activity is better than nothing. Exercise helps you clear your mind, and actually makes you happier because it makes your body release endorphins (“feel good” chemicals). I’ve also found that after I’m done exercising, it’s way easier for me to focus on work. Plus, when you’re done you get to be proud of yourself for taking time to do something that is good for you.  

8. Make a collection of inspirational quotes. You never know when you might have a bad day or what might cause it. Take a journal or a scrapbook or even just a piece of paper and write down all of your favorite inspirational quotes. Save it for a rainy day or just look over it to make yourself even happier than you already are. Keeping positive messages in the forefront of your mind is a great way to keep a positive attitude.

7. Make a healthy choice. Skip the burger and get a salad for lunch. Trade a side of fries for a side of fruit. Go for water instead of soda. Or even just cut back on the portion size of the unhealthy food that isn’t good for you but tastes so good. If you fuel your body properly, it will be much nicer to you than it would be if you filled it with junk.

6. Give yourself the spa treatment. Take some time just for you and pamper yourself. Use a sugar scrub on your hands, deep-condition your hair, or give yourself a facial (there are tons of easy recipes online for each of these). Don’t have the ingredients or the time for those ideas? Let out your creative side and paint a masterpiece on your nails. It will give you something pretty to look at for the rest of the week while you’re in class, and add a splash of color to any outfit.

5. Wear your favorite outfit. If it happens to be a dress, wear a dress. If it happens to be sweatpants and a hoodie, wear those sweatpants with pride and don’t forget your slippers. Consciously think about how good those clothes make you feel, either from comfort, confidence, or both! Enjoy the sensation.

4. Breathe deeply. As a CMU student, you probably have a lot on your mind all the time. Take a moment – maybe five minutes, maybe thirty, maybe an hour depending on how jumbled your mind is – and just breathe. Close your eyes. Cross your legs. Have a candle burning, or an air freshener plugged in if you live in a dorm. Concentrate only on your breathing and let everything that is bothering you go with each breath.

3. Eat a piece of dark chocolate. I know, I told you earlier to make a healthy decision. Dark chocolate actually has antioxidants in it that are good for you and can help lower blood pressure. A small piece of dark chocolate may be just what you need to satisfy your sweet tooth and sense of indulgence while doing something good for your body.

2. Make a list of things you don’t like about your body – and then destroy it. Write down any negative feelings you have about your body and shred the list. If you are in a safe environment, burn it. Remind yourself that nobody is perfect and hating yourself won’t get you nearly as far as loving yourself will. Shred up the list and shred up that negativity inside of you and instead embrace the positive.

1. Make a list of things you love about your body. Your body is an amazing instrument and while society likes to make us think that it isn’t valuable unless it looks a certain way, it can do so much for you! Appreciate the power your body has and take time to think about the parts of yourself that you love. Especially include things that can’t be seen at first glance, like a great sense of humor, intelligence, or compassion.

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.