This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Now that Carnival has been over for a while (RIP) and the school year is coming to a close, it’s time to face the monstrous beast that all college students know too well–finals week. Here are a few tips to help you keep on top of your finals game:

1. Listen to Classical Music

According to Huffington Post, studies show that listening to certain types of music that follow a 60 bpm pattern (like Mozart’s compositions) activates both the right and left sides of the brain in listeners. The stimulation of both sides of the brain is correlated to increased recall; in other words, you’ll be able to retain and remember information better. However, it’s important to note that listening to music with lyrics is often more of a distraction than a benefit, so stick to instrumentals only.

2. Manage Your Time Efficiently

Time management is key! If you’re not sure where to start, make a to-do list, with the most urgent things at the top and least urgent at the bottom. Then, set aside realistic times for how long you’re going to spend on doing each task (and stick to them!). Next, take in the sweet, sweet satisfaction of crossing something off of your list (quite violently in my case).

3. Ask for Help When You Need It!

It’s never a bad thing to ask for help–it can only aid in your success later on. Make sure to attend important review sessions, office hours, and go in with questions to be answered. Chances are, someone else has the exact same question as you. And of course, your peers are also an excellent source for help.

4. Use an Academic Study Site

If you’re running low on time or missed office hours, check out a study site! Try Course Hero, an online academic resource that lets you search for documents under your specific classes, get 24/7 tutoring, make flashcards, and more! Additionally, if you register and upload documents, you can make some money ($$$), get free access to their Premier Access (30 days with every 40 documents uploaded), and donate a book to Africa in your name with every 10 documents uploaded. So why not use your old notes to gain access to valuable study documents AND engage in philanthropy? Check it out by signing up with my member link here: https://www.coursehero.com/KnowledgeDrive/Carnegie-Mellon-EmmaShi/

5. Take Breaks Every Now and Then

This might be the last thing on your mind after hours of hitting the books, but your brain needs a break every now and then. Try painting your nails or doing a quick workout. Not only will it help you recap the information you studied earlier, but it will also help you get back on track to focus!

6. SLEEP

Getting enough sleep is probably the most important yet most undermined part of studying. Your brain (and body) needs sleep in order to function at its best. Aim to get at least 8 hours of sleep per night. Tiring yourself out until the early hours will only hurt your studying ability.

7. Form a Study Group

Having trouble getting the motivation to study by yourself (aka you’ve realized you’ve finished yet another episode on Netflix)? Hold yourself accountable by setting up a study group with your classmates. This is also an easy way to get your questions answered in a low-key setting as well as answer your peers’ questions (which will help reinforce what you know!).

8. Quiz Yourself

One of my go-to tricks in cramming for an exam is testing myself to see if I know the material. Pull out review problems or an old test and time your completion. For every incorrect answer, star it and redo the problem or look back on notes about that topic.

9. Try a Facebook-Blocking App

If you’re like me and often find yourself on Facebook amidst trying to complete an important assignment, maybe it’s time to enlist the help of a social-media blocking app. For surfing on the web, try Stay Focusd, Cold Turkey, or Self Control (there’s more options out there too).

10. RELAX!

Don’t work yourself up! Remember, it’s only a test. There are far worse things out there, and it’s not going to determine your life. You’ve got this! YOU CAN DO IT!

Sources:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/01/study-tips-for-exams-12-ways-to-ace-your-finals_n_789731.html

Emma Shi is a freshman at Carnegie Mellon University majoring in Decision Science (so she can learn how to make a decision, hopefully) and a self-diagnosed shopaholic. Along with contributing to Her Campus, she is also on the varsity swim team and in Tartan Athelete Fellowship. Her passions include all things pink, French fries, cake, skiing, New York City, and the clearance rack. She has secret ambitions of becoming an extreme couponer or the next Lauren Conrad. Unfortunately, she doesn't have an Instagram or Twitter account, but you will most likely find her on campus keeping it classy (aka probably being awkward). 
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.