10 Greatest Moments of Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

The worst part of freshman year is heading my way: the end. Freshman year is probably one of the best years, especially for us lovely ladies in college. As the years go by, not only do our choices narrow down, our studies and futures become a heavy cloud hanging over our heads. This past year was one of the best in my life especially because of these top moments that every freshman should experience:

10. Realizing Vocelli’s is open at 1am and accepts Dinex

We’ve all been there. Whether you’re craving something to keep you up for a long night of studying or drunk hungry back at your dorm with your “crew” after going hard at a frat party, you want that hot savory slice of pizza. Best part? Your parents won’t ask you why you keep spending so much money at odd hours of the nights because they take Dinex! Yes, our meal plans can be beneficial to us sometimes.

9. Making it into an organization/team

It could be Scotch ‘n’ Soda. It could be Student Senate. It could be the ballroom dance team. For me, it was all about Dancers’ Symposium, and I was lucky enough to have joined my first semester! Freshman year is all about pushing past fears, opening every ajar door you find, and discovering new skills you may not have known you had. Try new things! It’s early on in college. You have nothing to lose if you fail.

8. Receiving your first paycheck

Getting a job is great. Getting an internship is great too. But nothing beats the feeling of receiving your first paycheck! It’s like a confirmation that you actually are capable, can be independent, and will be ok without your parents’ support someday. On top of that, it is an amazing feeling to be able to reward your hard work with something you’ve always wanted to buy using the money you earned yourself.

7. Going home for breaks

I’ll admit it. I left home eagerly for college, and I hate leaving this place and the people for so long. But sometimes, you need to recharge and remind yourself of your roots. Being on a break reminds you of why you love (and sometimes hate) this place so much. It’s the only time where you can relax and just be alone for a bit.

6. FMR

I never regretted going through recruitment for Greek life, especially here at CMU. Being Greek here doesn’t necessarily come with the usual stigmas that being Greek at other schools come with. So many doors have opened for me since I became a sister. It’s broadened my network especially into the real world, created more opportunities to meet all types of people on campus, made me more involved on campus, gave me unconditional support and love from sisters, and taught me how to sharpen my interpersonal skills. Even if you don’t think being a sorority girl is your thing, remember that neither did half the girls that went Greek. It never hurts to try it out. You may be surprised!

5. Going on your first date

It’s college! Forget everything you learned in high school – or (God forbid) middle school – about dating and relationships. This is the real world now. In a time where random casual hookups, “chilling,” and texting seem to be the only things in the romance department, actually taking the time to go on a dinner date and have a legitimate conversation is something to greatly appreciate! From this point forward, everyone you date will either have an expiration date or grow old with you. So, make sure you get to know every possible candidate, ladies! You never know who you might find.

4. Booth & Carnival

Drilling and sawing for booth was not only a great stress reliever and study break, it was a great time to bond with people in your organization or chapter. As someone who loves being hands-on and loves painting, it was so much fun to channel my creativity into something for the community. Unless you’re in CFA, CMU doesn’t always give you the chance to let your imagination run a little loose and free. Booth is that one chance where you don’t have to be sitting at a computer coding or programming something. As for Carnival, it’s self-explanatory.

3. Greek Sing

Although it mainly applies to Greeks, it is still one of the biggest shows during the school year. Greek Sing is a philanthropic event and is a chance for each house to branch out and bond with its partner house. Even if performing arts isn’t everyone’s forte, it is so much fun to put together something from scratch and watch the magic unfold on stage. Most importantly, it is amazing to see a group of people come together to excel as a group.

2. Adventure Club & The Fence

First rule of Adventure Club? We don’t talk about it. All I can say is take some risks, even if they’re outright dangerous. If you want to stand on top of a roof, go for it. If you want to snake through some steam tunnels, go for it. If you want to steal The Fence for your freshman dorm to paint, go for it. Now, I’m not saying to put yourself at a life or death situation. But, it’s ok to be a little adventurous at the beginning of the year. You only get to be a reckless for a bit. Enjoy it!

1. Orientation

Now I know it sounds cheesy and stupid. We all get it. Orientation at CMU is unlike any other. The reason why Orientation was probably one of the best weeks, if not THE best week of my life, is because it was one week where all social norms were thrown out the window. All expectations were ignored. No one cared. No one judged. Everyone was a part of this huge family. We could talk to anyone and it wouldn’t be weird. Whether we knew anyone or remember anyone from it does not matter. Orientation brought our graduating class together. It showed us the beauty in our school, our peers, our city. My favorite part? It made me to all feel alive and ready to take on the challenges CMU would bring.

I'm currently a junior studying Business Administration with an additional major in Decision Science. Two places I call home are New Jersey and Taiwan. On campus, I'm involved with Dancers' Symposium, CMBA, UMO, and am a sister of Kappa Kappa Gamma. Some of my hobbies include writing, snowboarding, art, dance music, traveling, and running. My guilty pleasures are playing with cosmetics, shoe shopping, and Gossip Girl. You can always spot me on campus in heels (as if I were still in New York City) and holding a dirty chai latte!
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.