Study Up: 7 tips you Need for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMC chapter.

As the school year comes to an end, students are more than ready to leave for summer vacation. As we count down the last days with our friends and professors, we can’t forget about our dreaded finals before we say our goodbyes. It is hard to get distracted when the weather is perfect and you want to spend your last days with everyone, but we got to push through for the next two weeks. Many students wonder how they can focus and study efficiently these last couple of days. Her Campus CMC brings to you specific study skills to help you succeed for finals:

1. Rank your classes. Since there is not a lot of time left, students need to prioritize what they really need to focus on. If you have an A in Philosophy and a C in Government, you should be putting more time towards your Government final. So list your classes, 1 being the most time needed and so.
  2. Find the right place to study. This is very important because you need to be in a distraction-free zone to get the most out of your study sessions. If you get distracted in your dorm hall, go to the reading room or if studying with your friends isn’t effective go to a study room in the library.
  3. Don’t cram. Studying the entire curriculum of your course the night before isn’t going to be effective. Study in chunks within the next two weeks and devote specific times per subject.
  4. Limit distractions. Facebook, Twitter, videogames, and most importantly your cell phone are not your friends during finals. Try to deactivate your Facebook account for the next two weeks or make your friend change your password temporarily. Leave your cell phone in your room while studying or give it to a friend to hold who is studying with you. Just stay clear from anything that will waste study time.
  5. Take care of your Body. Sleep! Eat! Your body will thank you. Don’t pull an all-nighter before your test and live off of nothing, but coffee and candy. You need at least 8 hours before your exam days to perform well and eat a balanced meal before your test.
  6. Have a positive attitude. Don’t categorize yourself as being bad at a subject or unable to study for long periods of time. Instead, tell yourself, “Math may not be my best subject, but I am going to work hard to get the best grade I can get.”
  7. Don’t give up. There is only less than 2 weeks left in the school year. Make your finals day worth it. Manage your time, listen to these tips, and keep your head up high because you can do it!