This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

“I think I’m going to go abroad,” I told my mom five days before the study abroad application was due.  Not a complete rash decision, but my choice was a rather quick one that snuck up on me one day when my friend told me she was going abroad to Australia next semester.

My mom laughs at me now because I had once told her, “Australia? I definitely don’t want to go there”. And yet, here I am less than one month away from going abroad to – you guessed it – Australia for a whole semester. I am beyond excited, scared, nervous, and slightly still in disbelief that I will actually be a whole world away from my family and friends.

As someone who just went through the whole “pre-departure” process of going abroad, I’ve collected some tips and pieces of advice that I wish someone would have told me. So, here’s some wisdom from my experience, and I wish you safe travel!

1. Stop Questioning

I can’t begin to explain how many times I’ve asked myself and others, “Am I making the right decision?”.  Even after I applied and got accepted into my program, I still had a small fear in the back of my mind that maybe this wasn’t for me. But when I stopped to think about why I wanted to go abroad in the first place, I found my answer. When in your life are you going to be able to drop everything and go somewhere new and exciting for four months? There are so many incredible places to see, people to meet, and experiences to be had. By going abroad, you’re opening yourself up to a world you never knew before and will come back a changed person because of it. My motto is: “Do something every day that scares you,” and although this might be a big one, it’s worth the leap.

2. The Process is Time-Consuming

Whether you are going through Clemson or a Third-Party Program, the whole study abroad pre-departure process can be overwhelming. There is a lot of paperwork, people to meet with, and tedious details involved. You will have to get your classes approved, book your flights, apply for a Visa, meet with your advisor, go to a pre-departure orientation, and so on. I’m not listing these all to scare you, but I think it’s important to know realistically what’s involved.  If you pace yourself within this process and slowly tick off each task, it becomes manageable. And although it may seem like a lot, all of it is necessary, and you will feel extremely prepared and ready to go once it’s completed.

3. Reach Out and Utilize Your Resources

Believe it or not, you are not the first, nor the last person, to study abroad in your location of choice. Numerous Clemson students and advisors are more than willing to help you through the process and answer questions along the way. A couple of days ago, I met with two girls who had completed the same program as me last spring. They were extremely helpful in providing me with tips, places they traveled to, the best restaurants, and helping to lessens my worries (and my Mom’s) about my travels. I would encourage anyone going abroad to utilize these resources and more, such as a meet and greet with former students who went abroad that the Study Abroad Office puts on. As well as asking questions to your study abroad advisor or listening during your Pre-Departure Orientation for other students who are going to the same location as you.

4. You Will Feel all the Feels

It’s bittersweet. It hits you real hard the last two weeks that this may be the last time you see some of your friends or be in Clemson for a while. And although it’s sad and you’ll feel like you will miss out, the other half of you realizes how exciting your life is about to become. You’ve decided to take a jump and enter into a new journey that will be one of the best memories of your college experience. So, be sad and let your friends know how important they are to you. But at the same time, realize that, in a short while, you will be exactly where you’re supposed to be, experiencing things you couldn’t imagine.

Kelly Cherry

Clemson '21

I'm a junior Marketing and Communications double major at Clemson University. I'm involved as a member of Delta Zeta sorority, Delta Sigma Pi Business Fraternity, and Calhoun Honors College. I love to journal, do yoga, travel, eat lots of Mexican food and I am constantly on the quest for the best acai bowl. Through my writing I hope to inspire and connect with other college students!
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.