alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Visit New York City This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Have you always wanted to see the ball drop in New York City?! I was always that girl that sat in front of the TV every New Year’s Eve and watched the ball drop in absolute awe. It was decided very early in life for me that visiting New York City during this time of year would hold a spot on my bucket list. Last December, I got to do just that and visit NYC with some of my closest friends in Clemson. So, since I am feeling very nostalgic about it as 2018 comes to an end, I wanted to share with you my favorite memories and suggestions for a perfect winter trip to NYC.

1. Christmas Tree Lighting

One thing that you have probably heard about is the famous Rockefeller Christmas Tree. The area is truly breathtaking, especially in the snow, and will be sure to surprise you!

2. Rockefeller Center Ice Skating

Next stop is only a couple of stairs away at the bottom deck of the Rockefeller Tree! It would not be Christmas in NYC without ice skating, so you should definitely go to check this one out!

3. Shopping and SALES

One thing NYC is known for is it massive retail industry (and of course 5th Avenue). With the influx of tourists during this time, stores all over the city are sure to have sales for the season, and we all know it’s not the holidays without a good deal!

4. SNOW

If you have never experienced snow or have only witnessed the couple of inches we get in South Carolina, experiencing NYC in the snow will leave you speechless. Make sure to pack many layers of clothes because the cold in NYC is not something to take with a grain of salt. However, the cold is worth it as the city covered in snow is nothing less than beautiful.

5. Ball Drop

Finally, your trip leads up to this moment where you get to experience the notorious ball drop! My friends and I found a hotel nearby for a good deal and headed out around 9 pm to go stand in the lines. With the record-breaking temperatures of 2017, we stood out there in Times Square surrounded by thousands of people from around the world for 3 hours waiting to ring in the new year! Once you see the confetti rain all over the crowds for the first time, you will have a feeling of astonishment that you have never experienced before. It is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Hemani Patel

Clemson '19

Hi readers! My name is Hemani Patel, and I am Senior Biochemistry major at Clemson University. When I'm not in the library (which is most of the time), I'm usually watching movies, with my friends, or practicing with my Bollywood fusion dance team! I'm also very adventurous, so I like to travel and be around new places and people.
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.