Why Hygge Is EXACTLY What You Need in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

First off, you’re probably thinking, what the heck is “Hygge?!?!” Hygge (pronounced HUE-GUH) is a Danish word used to describe a feeling or moment, either special or ordinary, alone or with people you love, but it is always cozy. 

My favorite way to achieve this is on a snowy morning when I curl up by the fireplace with a hot tea, a fuzzy blanket and my puppies to watch the snow fall. In this case, I am the epitome of hygge.

This feeling tends to remind me of home. Being cozy with my family, feeling secure and safe. So, how can we bring this feeling of comfort and get hygge while away at school?

Here are 10 easy ways to achieve hygge in your dorm room or apartment.

Hang Some Lights!

Little string lights always add the perfect ambiance for settling the mood when you’re in bed unwinding at the end of the night.

Blankets!

Need I say more? Nothing says cozy like a nice, fluffy blanket you can curl up in at the end of a long stressful day.

Whip Out the Hyggebukser

This is that one pair of pants you wouldn’t be seen wearing in public but are your go-to when you get home. Big sweaters, thick sweatpants, fuzzy socks, grab it all!  Even throw that hair in a messy bun. Get as comfortable as possible.

Decorate with Things that Tell Stories

A key part of hygge is keeping away from consumerism. Decorate with pictures, gifts, and items that you bought from a place that is special to you. Be able to look around your space and be surrounded by memories.

Enjoy a Cup of Tea (or Your Hot Drink of Choice)

What part of warm beverages on a cold day doesn’t scream hygge?? Hot tea is known to have a naturally calming effect and helps dampen feelings of stress and anxiety.

Step Away From Electronics

With the constant stress of college bearing down on our souls, we deserve a little break. Take a break from looking at those screens and do a puzzle or play a board game with some friends. This is all about relaxing and allowing yourself to enjoy some free time in a healthy way.

Take a Bath

Get that warm water running, tell Alexa to play your favorite chill vibes playlist, light a few candles, add some lavender essential oils, and relaaaaaax. The key to battling stress in college is to practice self-care and allow your body to take a break.

Have a Movie Night

Pick your favorite film, whether it be a rom-com like How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days or a psychological thriller like Shutter Island. Get that popcorn poppin’, some pillows and blankets, and if you chose, some close friends. Get close, cuddle up, and watch Matthew McConaughey fall for another beautiful woman or Leonardo Dicaprio star in another movie he didn’t win an Oscar for.

Bake a Cake

Treat yo’ self and bake your favorite dessert. Part of hygge is about giving yourself a break from a strict lifestyle, so set aside some time and enjoy the process – AND the results!

Practice Your Favorite Hobby

Whether this be knitting, journaling, reading, dancing, hiking, whatever makes you happy, do it!

Hygge is a wonderful way to practice self-care in college. This lifestyle allows you to be able to tune into yourself and really take time to relax and let go of the college-related stressors for a little.

So, cozy up, grab the softest items you own, and enjoy your new, relaxing, hygge lifestyle.

Gabrielle is a senior majoring in communication with a minor in english. She loves coffee, traveling, her dogs, friends, and most of all her family. She is also a member of Central Spirit and love Saturdays in Death Valley.
Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).