jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What’s in My Carry-On for International Travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

I just got back from my first time ever traveling abroad. One of my biggest stressors before leaving was trying to figure out what I needed to pack for 13 hours on a plane. Overseas travel takes a very long time, so you have to make sure to pack the perfect supplies. Here are the essentials to start your dream trip off right.

Snacks

On most overseas flights, passengers are fed at least one meal and offered drinks, but it’s always nice to have your own snacks to keep you full and busy. I’d recommend popcorn, nuts, or fruit!

Water Bottle

The number one issue with long-distance travel is dehydration. Planes can be very drying, so it’s best to drink as much water as you can. Also, try to bring lotion to keep your skin hydrated, too!

Sleep Mask & Earplugs

The best way to pass the time on long flights is to sleep. A sleep mask can block light from windows or people’s devices while earplugs block out any noises, like a crying baby.

Face Spray

Along with the water tip, a face spray or skin refresher can be the perfect pick-me-up if you’re trying to stay awake and recharged.

Change of Clothes

Since you’ll most likely be sleeping, I’d recommend getting on the plane in soft, comfy clothing (or even pajamas!). In the morning, when you’re close to touchdown, you can then switch into your change of clothes to be ready to take on the day.

Blanket

Though you can also use a big scarf or jacket, a blanket is the best way to stay warm and cozy while sleeping onboard your flight.

Netflix Downloads

There are many different entertainment options for trips, but my personal favorite is to prepare some Netflix downloads before you go. This way, you can catch up on the show you’re binging, or even re-watch some of your favorite movies.

Music

Making sure to have a bunch of your favorite music ready to go is essential to surviving overseas flights!

Headphones

To listen to music, watch tv/movies on Netflix, or to even plug into the back-of-seat television on the flight, you’ll need a pair of headphones. Make sure they’re either noise-canceling or loud enough to be heard over the hum of the plane.

Books & Magazines

Lastly, one of my favorite ways to stay entertained on long flights is to bring along my current read and some recent magazines.

Hi, I'm Kendall! I'm a Business Management major with a love of writing, art, and creativity. In my free time you can find me hanging out with friends, taking photographs, cheering on Clemson Football, drinking coffee, watching tv/movies, and eating tons of great food. And although I love to stay in, one of my passions is traveling all around the world!
Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).