freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What is Your Love Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Often times, in relationships, people have a tendency to assume that their partner knows them completely. That is not always the case. Your boyfriend may know your favorite color, or your favorite food, but often times you or your boyfriend might not be aware of the “Love Language” that each of you speak. What is a Love Language, you ask? That is the language you both speak in regards to giving and receiving love. There are five Love Languages that define most people individually and can be used to determine the success of your relationship. The Love Languages are: Words of affirmation, physical touch, receiving gifts, quality time, and acts of service. If you are the type of girl that looks for words of affirmation in your relationship more than anything else, that is your primary Love Language. This concept can be applied to all the rest of the Love Languages as well.

Knowing your Love Language and being able to effectively communicate that to your partner can help both of you not only receive but give unselfishly in your relationship. For example, if your primary love language is quality time, and your partner buys you the most expensive diamond bracelet, you would appreciate the gift but your “Love Tank” would still be empty because you care more about spending time with him instead of receiving gifts. The same thing applies for guys. If your boyfriend’s primary Love Language is words of affirmation and you never tell him how cute, or funny, or amazing he may be, his “Love Tank” will be empty because he cares about what you think of him and if you don’t tell him, how will he ever know and be fulfilled in the relationship?

How can any of us be in a successful relationship if we don’t truly know who are partners are and are not willing to give them what they need to contribute to their overall happiness? Success in relationships does not revolve around what a person is getting, it’s about what you are willing to give without expecting anything in return. If you would like more insight on the Five Love Languages and how they can help with the success of your relationship, you can refer to the book “The Five Love Languages” written by Gary Chapman and take the Five Love Languages Quiz online at www.5lovelanguages.com/profiles.

I am the type of person that will laugh in the middle of a silent room because of something that happened days ago!
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19