alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

What You Need to Know About the Government Shutdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

So, as you might be aware, the U.S. is heading towards its fifth week under the government shutdown. This is already the longest shutdown in the nation’s history, breaking all sorts of records. As college students, it is sometimes hard to pick our heads up from our little bubble and look up to a larger perspective. Also, not all of us work government jobs or are placed in federal situations enough times to see the impact that a shutdown really has on a daily basis. This is why I have compiled a list of things that you might find enlightening – or alarming – with the current state of our country. With a closer look at these impacts, you might find that you, your parents, professors, doctors, etc. are affected in the long run.

1. Food Inspections (FDA)

A verified statement has been issued advising consumers against buying many grocery items such as eggs, various vegetables, and other uncooked items on the market. Due to a decline in FDA employees showing up to work with each passing day, a lot of food is going unchecked for before distribution. 

2. TSA Strike

That’s right. With lack of pay, many TSA officers are being forced to look for compensation elsewhere. This leads to an empty staff at airport security leading to the exact opposite of the shutdown’s motive, insecurity of the nation’s borders. 

3. School Lunches

Kids with low-income benefits at school lunches will also be at risk. With the funding of the federal court approximated to reach a minimum near February 2nd, the obtainability of school lunches is driving some students in primary and secondary school to be left without sustenance for their long school day. 

4. Veteran Benefits

As many of our nation’s veterans and military retirees are taken care of by federal payments and benefits, the prolonged shutdown is bound to employ cuts in their welfare settlements.  

5. Government Hospitals

Hospitals are yet another subject funded by the government. As the funds become obsolete, hospitals will have to wait for the otherwise quick distribution of generic medications and health insurance exchanges and risk the availability of unpaid physicians damaging the overall quality of care. 

6. Parks & Museums

As park and museum employees look elsewhere for their financial necessities, these places will go days without proper care. Reversal of this neglect after the shutdown is estimated to take many months as the areas would have to be renovated for any natural damages. 

7. Criminal Investigations

Once again, the government shutdown poses a threat to its own citizens. Federal agents, such as the F.B.I., are starting to seek help their daily lifestyle. Without pay, the nation is at risk of unconcerned criminal investigations around the country. This would undoubtedly lead to insensitive mistakes at the cost of the nation’s security. 

Hemani Patel

Clemson '19

Hi readers! My name is Hemani Patel, and I am Senior Biochemistry major at Clemson University. When I'm not in the library (which is most of the time), I'm usually watching movies, with my friends, or practicing with my Bollywood fusion dance team! I'm also very adventurous, so I like to travel and be around new places and people.
Kate Freed

Clemson '21

Hi! My name is Kate Freed and I'm from Raleigh, NC. I'm a sophomore Communication major at Clemson University. I love all things fitness, food, and fashion. I teach kickboxing and barre and am passionate about motivating others to be their best selves.